New Costco Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eloro

Reaction score
I came across a couple threads from a few years back talking about the Costco brand (Kirkland Signature) beer. They now have two new brews.

Well, a few days ago my girlfriend went shopping and came home with a case of the new variety pack. It contains 4- 6 packs: one Pale ale, one amber ale, and two new ones, the India Pale Ale and the Belgian White.

At first I wasn't crazy about drinking a store brand beer. But, since they came in brown pop off bottles and the labels were already starting to peel off as I loaded them into the fridge, I wasn't as upset. Then she told me that it was only $18.99 for the whole thing! In my area you can barely get a case of Natural Light for that price.

Last night I tried one, and I have to say, they aren't bad at all. The only one I don't like is the Belgian White. My girlfriend likes that one exclusively. For me, this is where I'm going to be getting all my bottles from now on! I live in a medium sized city, and we have several wineries that supply wine brewing equipment, but no beer supply stores or anywhere (that I have found) that sells bottles. So I am stuck ordering all my stuff. My logic is that by the time I ordered a case of empty bottles and paid shipping, I'd have spend more than the price of this case full of decent beer.

Anyone tried these? Anyone got any better options? I haven't found any, so if you are in the market for bottles and can stand the thought of drinking generic beer, go get yourself a few cases and let me know what you think of the beer!

I would never pay for an empty bottle, personally, ESPECIALLY if you have to pay shipping, too. In most cases it is similar cost to buy bottles with beer in them already.

I buy beer I like drinking, consume the contents, and clean out the bottles.

I think it's excellent beer. I drink the 3 sixers of 'good stuff' and save the last one for whenever I might see my mom. She is a fan of the nasty belgian white....

just tell your friends to save you bottles

or go to a bar and ask for bottles

you should be able to get enough bottles that you dont need to collect any screw top bottles, non brown bottles, or bottles with labels that are difficult to remove.

Kirkland beer is my main source of 12 oz bottles. Big fan of the amber personally. Just wish they used a glue what was easier to wash off.

Only the Wit seemed decent to me. The others had some off taste, definitely not as good as homebrew. That said, 15 minute soak in water and a SS scrubby pad cleans them right up. And since the bottles have no embossed name on them, they're good to go for competition beer, I reckon.

Bottling is a pain. Invest a few (hundred) bucks and keg. So much easier. In the long run you save time and after a long day at work, really nice to pull the tap handle and get a cold pint of your brew.

Around here, they are brewed by the same brewery that puts out Saranac, which is an excellent brand. This latest mix is pretty good, imo. The last lineup wasn't so hot. I ended up using the Hefe and one other one I can't recall for cooking. They are definitely worth the bottles, and now, worth the beer also.

I'll always bottle and keg. It's not as simple a decision as "drop a few hundred" and forget bottling forever. I've dropped close to a thousand on my kegging, refrigeration, and serving setup, but I still bottle probably 1/3 of the beers I make.

zepolmot said:
Kirkland beer is my main source of 12 oz bottles. Big fan of the amber personally. Just wish they used a glue what was easier to wash off.

I have a cooler out in the corner of my porch filled with water and a few scoops of oxyclean. When someone finishes a beer, they throw the bottle in the cooler. When the cooler is full, I take the bottles straight to the sink, fill it with hot soapy water, and the glue comes right off with minimal work with a sponge.

I'm probably not quite as beer-snobby as I should be, so take this with a grain of salt :)

Picked up these on Tuesday. I actually rather like all of them. Compared to buying something in the BMC lineup anyway. These are close to the same price and you get bottles to reuse!

I'll admit, I do like the Belgian White, but I think my favorite is the Amber.

Overall I'd say it's a good buy. Really just started getting into enjoying "real" beers (after buying my homebrewing kit, funny how that works), so we used to just buy a case of Kokanee. Now we'll be buying these for parties (and Rogue Dead Mans Ale for Halloween!) and have a nice supply of bottles virtually for free!

Kosch

The Wit is the best of that group. The amber is a good second. Everything else, IPA included is terrible.

Remember that depending on where you are, the beer is brewed by a different regional brewery. On the East Coast (well, NYC at least), it is brewed by Utica Brewing Co, which is a brand of FX Matt Brewery in Utica, one of the largest regional breweries in the country.

Mine says New York. I don't like the wit. I dont know what it is... Maybe the coriander? My favorite is the amber.

I'll admit though, I'm no beer snob. On a really hot day after cutting grass or something, sometimes I'd prefer an ice cold bud light with lime over a craft beer

They are all getting a little old though. Between my friends and family, we've gone through 5 cases now. Lots of bottles!

Sadly enough I can attest to the fact that the Kirkland Signature Brand Bourbon isn't terrible. Matter of fact, it's downright drinkable. Additionally their Tequila is quite good according to a few folks I know that can stomach the stuff.

I see you are in Georgia. Out here in Oregon the Costco beer is terrible and I mean really bad. It must be that they are brewed at different breweries. I think the Costco beer here is brewed in California. My friend bought a case and he hated every style so he gave me the rest. I tried them all and came to the same conclusion. I gave the rest to another friend who didn't like them either.

Back