New build keezer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaz

Reaction score
Hello All

First I want to start off by saying that I am not a home Brewer, just a consumer of beer.

I'm looking to build a Keezer to hold roughly 4 cornys. I want 3 to be for beer and one to be for nitro coffee. My keezer will be set up in my basement (unfinished usually arround 55 degrees year round). And I want to run lines up to my kitchen roughly a 12 foot vertical run, and mount a tower on a counter top.

Problem/questions.
I can't seem to find a tower set up that has 3 regular taps and one nitro tap. Does such a tower exist?

Also, is it better to have the co2 and nitrogen tanks inside the Keezer as opposed to outside? Does the temperature of the gas effect the beer?

Since nitro coffee requires straight N2, is there a regulator that would allow me to mix N2 and CO2 should I want to switch the coffee to a stout, or some other nitro beer?

Also, any suggestions on how to keep the beer lines at a constant temperature during the 12 foot run? Was thinking 3inch pvc pipe, wrapped with insulation with fan from Keezer blowing cold air into the pipe/conduit.

Thanks for reading!

In general the N2 tank will not care... But the CO2 has a better chance of freezing up inside the kegerator. you will also may not get as much notice when the tank is running low Co2 is vastly different pressures and ratios of liquid to gas based on temp, but I would have to verify the numbers with a chart.

Running a line vertically is difficult. First you will need to cool the line, so you are looking at a "trunk line" with a glycol loop to keep the beer cold all the way to the taps. If the beer warms up it will be foam city and may get funky if there is anything left alive in the beer.

Second problem will be balancing the lines. You will have a ton of head pressure to push the beer up that high. too much head pressure can over carb the beer and then... foam city.

Its possible to do it... But need to have your numbers correct and may need to blend that nitrogen into your kegs to push the beer up while not over carbing them.

In general the N2 tank will not care... But the CO2 has a better chance of freezing up inside the kegerator. you will also may not get as much notice when the tank is running low Co2 is vastly different pressures and ratios of liquid to gas based on temp, but I would have to verify the numbers with a chart.

Running a line vertically is difficult. First you will need to cool the line, so you are looking at a "trunk line" with a glycol loop to keep the beer cold all the way to the taps. If the beer warms up it will be foam city and may get funky if there is anything left alive in the beer.

Second problem will be balancing the lines. You will have a ton of head pressure to push the beer up that high. too much head pressure can over carb the beer and then... foam city.

Its possible to do it... But need to have your numbers correct and may need to blend that nitrogen into your kegs to push the beer up while not over carbing them.

Thank you for that info! I think the vertical run will be closer to 7 feet.

as long as you can get the math to work without over carbing the beer you should be ok. I hear "flow control" taps can help with balancing. if the pressure requirements are too high you will have to go to beer gas.

Back