New brewer to Bock beer has a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregflwi72

Reaction score
I am a new brewer and figured I would try a few kits first to get the logistics of the process. I have purchased a American Bock kit from True Brew. I have been reading a lot about Bocks and it seems to be the concensus that this beer should ferment for 4 weeks or more. In the instructions for the kit they call for it to ferment for one week then go straight to bottling or kegging. I am looking for some advice on this matter. Should I follow the instructions and bottle it now? Or should I move it to a secoundary fermentator and ferment it at 36 degrees and wait another 4 weeks before kegging it?

your starting with a lager?? ales are WAY easier to start with. well i would raise the temp by 10 degrees for a week. then rack and lager at 40 for a month.

Oy, one week then to bottle or keg? No way would I do that.

I don't know how 'big' their bock kit is (I'm guessing it's not a lager yeast). I might say 4 weeks in primary, then bottle/keg. Or maybe 2-3 primary and about the same amount secondary. I honestly don't know what's considered best practice for a cold secondary if you have an ale yeast. The yeast presumably just zonks out and falls out, so you get clarity but not really conditioning at 36 degrees.

ADD: Tipsy thinks it's lager yeast, and maybe he's right.

Wait til bubbling stops, sanitize your wine thief/turkey baster, take a sample, test with hydrometer/refractometer, monitor for expected final gravity, bottle when gravity doesnt move for three days. One week, four weeks, doesnt matter, these are typical times, not hard and fast. Too many variables; you rack or package when its done. If you keg, rack from primary when gravity is complete. Lager in the keg and free up your primary.

I'm betting the kit has an ale yeast, thus the 1 week ferment time.

Please post specifics...who made the kit and what kind of yeast is in the kit?

Back