New brewer mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lc61ff

Reaction score
Hello all! So I brewed a Belgian Saison about two weeks ago (this is only the second time I've brewed a beer). I went to take a SG reading and got a 1.015 which was only .002 off of what the instructions final was so i siphoned it off into my secondary. Well, while washing my fermenting bucket I saw the formula for abv for the first time. I decided to calculate it and I found out it was only 5.5 which is 1.4 off of what the instruction sheet said it should be. Did I screw myself by putting it into the secondary or is there a chance that whatever yeast is still in there will be able to finish my beer off. Like I sad before this is my second batch so I am still learning and I hope I didn't make a big mistake. Sorry for the long post.

There's probably still a good amount of yeast in there. I wish kits would stop encouraging secondary, as there's not a lot of need for it and all it really does is introduce oxygen.

You'll be ok, just check it in a week or two. Abv is relative to your starting and finishing gravity (as you probably know) . If the final gravity doesn't change much in 2 weeks, you'll probably be just fine to bottle.

There is not way to get rid of all yeast in beer unless you filter.
So there is most probably enough yeast to eat those sugars.

Take note, that you should take two or more readings when you see that fermentation had stopped (no more bubbles).
Readings should be a day apart (at least) and when two readings are consistent you may assume that fermentation has ended.

+1 on the no secondary.

When i first started brewing, i learned from a guy who has been doing it for 30+ years. He's never done a secondary in a carboy. When i was explaining the process that i had been reading about online, he thought it was completely unnecessary. so i skipped it. have never had a problem with taste or clarity.
his form of secondary that he's been using is basically the same as bottle conditioning (which isn't just for adding CO2 to the beer), except in his kegs.

but about your math: you're telling us that your FG reading before racking was 1.015 and abv was 5.5, which would mean that your OG was 1.057. But your estimated FG was .002 lower than what you measured, aka 1.013. OG 1.057 with FG 1.013 = 5.78% abv. one of your numbers must be off. in order to take a 1.057 to equal 6.9% (you said 5.5 + 1.4), you would need it to go all the way down to FG 1.004-1.005.

but as for this one, +1 on taking FG readings, once you've got the same FG reading for at the least 2 days in a row (some people even go for 3 in a row to be absolutely sure), then bottle/keg it.

+1 on no secondary. You're probably closer to your desired ABV than you think. You definitely should have taken 2 FG readings before transferring. Assuming you did it properly, it should continue to attenuate and finish where it should. It's just easy to mess something up when you transfer to secondary.

Thanks for the help guys. I still have lots to learn and last night I don't know why I had a mini melt down lol. So I'm guessing abv is different then the instructions alcohol content? When doing the calc from the instructions the abv was 7.22 but the instructions stated alcohol content should be 6.9. I'm probably confusing myself more then I should be.

Thanks for the help guys. I still have lots to learn and last night I don't know why I had a mini melt down lol. So I'm guessing abv is different then the instructions alcohol content? When doing the calc from the instructions the abv was 7.22 but the instructions stated alcohol content should be 6.9. I'm probably confusing myself more then I should be.

Don't become too concerned with ABV and its relation to "good" beer. At the end of the day, it will have alcohol and a % or two either way is not going to make or break it. What you're shooting for in good beer is good taste, good color, good head, good balance, good feel, etc.. Ethanol is not the goal in brewing; BEER is.

The beer in the pic looks awesome!

Ooooh looks very nice. It's easy to miss a gravity reading. OG can be off if the sample you took wasn't properly mixed. Temperature of the wort also has an effect on how the hydrometer will read. Ideally, a gravity sample should be read at about 60F. Your ready will vary by about 0.002 for every 10 degrees away from 60F the sample is..so if it was read at 70F, you should add 0.002 to your hydrometer reading.

Either way, RDWHAHB..your beer will still be good. I'm sure it'll be pretty close to your desired ABV.

Thanks so much for the help. My last beer had some off flavor of almost a nail polish remover and when I did that last night I had a little freak out because I didn't know if that would do anything. Lessons learned today is to take several reading and no secondary needed. I plan to leave the beer in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks and see how it taste then.

You shouldn't need to leave it in for another 3-4 weeks if its in secondary..especially if it's already 2 weeks in. While I try not to brew by the calendar, it usually only takes about 3 weeks total for my brews to hit FG and clean/finish up. Then I bottle and let condition for another 2-3 weeks.

Let it go for another week then take a gravity sample. Wait 2 days and take another gravity sample. I'm betting it will be done by then and you should be able to bottle from there.

You shouldn't need to leave it in for another 3-4 weeks if its in secondary..especially if it's already 2 weeks in. While I try not to brew by the calendar, it usually only takes about 3 weeks total for my brews to hit FG and clean/finish up. Then I bottle and let condition for another 2-3 weeks.

Let it go for another week then take a gravity sample. Wait 2 days and take another gravity sample. I'm betting it will be done by then and you should be able to bottle from there.

Awesome I definitely will do that thanks!

Haha thanks guy a ton! I definitely will take several readings to look for any changes.

I too would suggest skipping the secondary.

There is also no reason to take a lot of gravity readings. Ferment for 2 weeks and it is most certainly done. I usually only take one reading. If it is where I expect I bottle. After 2 weeks then 2 readings a day apart, to be safe, if they are the same you can bottle. I do most of my fermentations for about 21 days, but many at just 14.

It is big beers like Barleywines and Winter ales that would benefit from a long secondary.

Wait a few more days, take a reading. If the same, or in this case a couple points lower, I would bottle, store at about 70 degrees for 3 weeks, chill one for 24 hours or so and try it. If carbonation is good, proceed drinking them, if not wait another week and try one again.

I too would suggest skipping the secondary.

There is also no reason to take a lot of gravity readings. Ferment for 2 weeks and it is most certainly done. I usually only take one reading. If it is where I expect I bottle. After 2 weeks then 2 readings a day apart, to be safe, if they are the same you can bottle. I do most of my fermentations for about 21 days, but many at just 14.

It is big beers like Barleywines and Winter ales that would benefit from a long secondary.

Wait a few more days, take a reading. If the same, or in this case a couple points lower, I would bottle, store at about 70 degrees for 3 weeks, chill one for 24 hours or so and try it. If carbonation is good, proceed drinking them, if not wait another week and try one again.

I do it the same way. I usually don't bother with multiple FG readings..just 1 at the time of bottling to make sure it's where I want it. I typically let it go for 3 weeks also, and I've always had good results.

Sometimes I take 2 readings a day apart, but like I said, it's after 2-3 weeks it's always been where it should be.

+1 on the no secondary.

When i first started brewing, i learned from a guy who has been doing it for 30+ years. He's never done a secondary in a carboy. When i was explaining the process that i had been reading about online, he thought it was completely unnecessary. so i skipped it. have never had a problem with taste or clarity.

While I would in no way say that using a secondary is essential (most times I don't either), I'd be leery of trusting someone that's brewed for 30+ years and never tried it even once. To me that shows an unwillingness to experiment in the simplest of ways... or downright laziness.

Back to the OPs question though... I've only brewed one saison so far and it hit an extremely low FG (1.002?). I have no idea if yours is likely to go much lower than it is now, but that would account for the difference in expected alcohol level (and yes, alcohol content should be included as one of the factors you're aiming for in what the other guy listed above). There's plenty of yeast left in there still to get the job done if it's not ready yet.

I'm wondering if the temperature had anything to do with it? I had it fermenting at about 65 degrees.

I'm wondering if the temperature had anything to do with it? I had it fermenting at about 65 degrees.

According to Wyeast's website, that strain can handle a range of 65F-77F. You could try and move it to an area that is slightly warmer and let it finish out there. That helps my brews to finish up when I step up temperature toward the end of fermenation.

I agree that wyeast 3711 ferments just about everything. My last batch fermented down to 1.002 also, although I fermented at 68 degrees and left it for 4 weeks.

I'm curious that your instructions indicated it would have a 1.013 FG since they gave you wyeast 3711.

I never realized that Saisons were so..thin.

I think the word you're looking for is dry. They have the lowest FGs of any style I can think of but are highly carbonated, so they dont really have a thin mouthfeel. Thats why they are my favorite style

I think the word you're looking for is dry. They have the lowest FGs of any style I can think of but are highly carbonated, so they dont really have a thin mouthfeel. Thats why they are my favorite style

Thank you that makes sense.

I'm going to try and raise the temp a little and hope it finishes up

I never realized that Saisons were so..thin.

To add to m00ps point, Saison yeast is also rumored to descend from wine strains, which produce a lot of glycerine, adding again to mouthfeel. 3711 in particular. I've had 1.005 beers with that strain seem much more full than the hydrometer claims.

Back