New brewer looking for first kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill go off the numbers of the Spotted Cow and Sierra Nevada to get a good range. So somewhere around 4.8%-5.6%

You might be more pleased with their cream ale kit than if I try to make one since I can't get small quantities of LME. I think using pilsen makes a difference. I was it does when designing my cream ale recipe.

The only problem with the designing recipes is not knowing how many AA's the hops will have as there's a range. The calculator use a specific number, and on this one it's registering 7%, which is high for Cascade. If I use just 2 oz of hops it'll be on the low end of the spectrum of IBU's. But 3 oz would put it on the high end. Let me change the number to 6% and see how that works in.

For a 5 gal batch with 7 lbs of pale LME (Briess golden light), 1 lb of crystal 20 (crushed), and 3 oz of Cascade hops (~6%) it would produce about 5.6 or 5.7% alcohol, 7 SRM, and 38 IBU's using US-05 yeast.

You'd need 3 muslin hop bags, US-05 yeast, and a grain bag if the kit didn't come with one.

You could buy 1) 2 oz hop pack, and 2) 1 oz hop packs in case the AA's are lower than 6% and save the extra if they are 6% or more.

Maybe Im just making this more confusing than it needs to be, but Im still 20$ away from free shipping. :D Is your plan for this to get the cream ale kit (https://morebeer.com/view_product/28634) with a couple oz's of hops and malt to use up the remainder of the kit?

No. Make the cream ale kit as is. And then I can create a pale ale recipe that you can buy the ingredients for.

What I generally do if I'm short on the free shipping is buy some dry yeast, hops, muslin bags, DME, bottle caps, whatever lasts that may come in handy. Get a big reusable BIAB type grain bag too. And the spoon. I have a freezer full of hops! And I had a bunch of DME, but used most of it. I might have 3 packs of yeast.

Also, you might want whirlfloc tablets if you really care about clear beer. I don't mind if it's slightly cloudy, but I did finally use some in my cream ale since it's supposed to be clear.

Brewtoad.com It's free.

MoreBeer doesn't have crystal 20 so I changed it to 15. I usually mix 20 and 40 for my pales and IPA's.

You mentioned Ranger IPA, but then wanted a less hoppy pale. Do you like IPA's?

Ya, I would just prefer it less hoppy if Im making a lot of this beer (which I will be)

I noticed they recommended a liquid strain of yeast for the cream ale. I'm sure you could do well enough with US-05, but maybe you might want to use the liquid for the experience they deem worthy. Usually a liquid yeast needs a yeast starter, though many have not. Were I to not use a starter I'd opt for the Wyeast pack.

If you would make a starter you'll need 1 lb of DME to use 1/4 lb in 1 qt of water boiled for 15 mins. Cool it down to room temp, pour it into a 2 qt juice jug or flask and pour the yeast in. Swirl, cover loosely if using the juice jug-allow the lid to move up and down if you wiggle it- and set in the dark for 24 hours. Shake it rigorously every few hours or so (several times a day). And it's ready. I pour it all in. Some chill it so the yeast falls to the bottom and decants the "beer" off since it's been mishandled, but I just toss it all in.

Yea I just noticed Ill need that anyway.. It says at the bottom "Our recipe kits DO NOT include grain bags or yeast. The recommended yeast(s) can be found below. All grains will come milled"

7 lbs pale LME
1 lb milled crystal 15
3-4 oz Cascade pellet hops
US-05 yeast 1 or 2 depending on whether you want liquid for cream
6 muslin hop bags
1 BIAB grain bag
spoon
1 lb light DME if you want to make a liquid yeast starter
2000 ml flask if you want a yeast starter and don't want to use a 2qt jug

Now I just need a grain bag and I think that will start me off on my first brew. I can order all the ingredients separately once I understand the brew process a bit better, because now its a bit over my head, haha. I appreciate all the help so far. Ill make my purchase from Midwestsupplies now, and once I find the grain bag for the cream ale Ill order that too.

I think the cream ale would be OK with US-05, but it might be better with the Wyeast.

And if you choose Wyeast you have to decide on whether or not to make a starter. It's a high ABV beer so I think you could do without it, but it's almost required my most to make a starter for the liquid strains.

There are smaller ones, but this one should work for BIAB when you get comfortable enough to step it up a bit and do partial mashes. It opens up even more doors like my oatmeal coffee stout or rye pale ale. It had to be mashed to work.

I can't see the directions for that beer to know how many hop bags you'll need. Get 3.

I think Im finally done!

200 Gold Bottle Caps
5 Gallon Plastic Carboy
Universal Carboy Bung
6.5 Gallon Fermentor with Grommeted Lid
Liquid Crystal Thermometer x2
Airlock x2
Hydrometer and Test Jar
2 oz Midwest Oxygen Wash
Instructional Step-By-Step DVD
5/16” Auto-Siphon
5/16” ID Siphon Tubing (5 Feet)
Small Tubing Clamp
Bottling Bucket with Spigot
Bottle Filler
Bottle Capper
Bottle Brush

Extra Hydrometer
Economy Digital Scale - 11 Lb. Capacity
Nylon Boiling bag 8 x 9 in.

And from Morebeer
Spoon - Stainless Steel
Spoon - Plastic (24")
Erik Beer's Cream Ale - Extract Beer Kit
Yeast (Liquid) - Wyeast (American) - 1056
Mesh Bag - 29in x 29in with Drawstring

Oh, and before you brew that beer let me know what the directions say. Many of these kits come with poor directions and do things in a strange manner, some of which seems like an attempt to simplify the process.I'll shoot you my phone # in a PM to make it easier than all of this damn typing!

Nice thanks for all the help. How does that order from both sites look? I think I should be set for a long time (well.. until I run out of ingredients)

You won't need the nylon bag from midwest with the other bag from morebeer.

You forgot 3 muslin bags for hops

That's all you'll need to get started for sure.

But it'll be over quickly and you'll be looking at ingredients online to do it all over again!!!

Also buy a whisk when you can. It makes aerating beer much easier unless you get the contraptions.

I'm not sure. I've never dealt with them, and I've only made 1 standard kit, and a couple of Mr Beer kits. I've just been designing my own recipes.

You mentioned being $4 shy of free shipping. Did you order the pale ale ingredients I sent you?

You may want some tongs for pulling out hop sacks. Much easier than trying to get them with a spoon.

Oh, and welcome to the addiction!

Latest posts

Back