New Brewer Here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WizCodifa

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Cody. I'll be starting my first brew in a few weeks. I'm anxious and nervous at the same time. I've been doing my research for a bit now, and feel like I may have the basic understanding on starting my own batch.

I have a goal that id like to aim for, which is running my own brewery and having my own signature foods.

Any advice is much appreciated, because I honestly am nervous about my first attempt.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

1. Clean and sanitize more than you think you should.

2. Control fermentation temps as best you can.

3. Relax. Don't worry. Have a beer. (You'll be having a homebrew soon.)

What is one the most easiest mistakes to make? (Aside from sanitation)

Fermentation temps and being impatient. I still have a problem with patience so I aim for quick beers.

Boil overs aren't fun to clean up, and can happen real fast.

Make sure valves are closed before filling with liquids. Hot water burning your foot isn't fun, nor is cleaning up sticky wort.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So is it smart to get a boiling pot with a spigot attached? It is it un-needed.

I'd say that a spigot on a boiling pot is something more situational and awkward in the wrong circumstances. I suppose, however, that it's reserved for when one needs it, so if you brew regularly and don't want to fuss with a heavy pot often, the choice is yours.

In my book, it's not really a must-have.

Back