New Brewer Hello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasRed

Reaction score
Greetings all. I have recently begun my first home brew batch. I am brewing amber ale and using a duel stage fermenter. I have recently transferred my batch from the first stage to the second after 4 days of fermenting. This was per the directions of the local home brew store. Now that the beer is in the second fermenter, I can hardly notice any bubbling from the air lock. Should there be a significant amount? I did not transfer all the hop sludge that was at the bottom of the first fermenter. Should that have been transferred as well?

Cheers.

Autoferret. Thanks for the info. Should I continue on with this bacth, let ferment for 1~2 weeks? Will it be nasty?

Sounds good. There should be some, minimal, action in the secondary. You should not try to transfer the sludge (trub) from the primary.

It shouldn't be nasty... Why, What did you do?

I've just starting transfering into a secondary my last few batches. You should be fine b/c it will settle out to the bottem of the secondary. Always continue your brew unless its baddly infected!!!

And relax and have a brew!

Texasred,

I think it sounds like you did it perfectly well. The fact is that the (noticeable) fermentation is very often pretty much over and done with before the end of four days and therefore you will see very little activity in the airlock.

Another factor, is that after racking your beer to the secondary fermenter, you lose some of the CO2 pressure that was in the primary fermenter, and it can take a day or perhaps more before enough of that builds up in the secondary and gives new activity in the airlock.

That being said . . . well, don't worry. After the initial strong fermentation, the lack of activity in the fermenter can seem a bit upsetting and worrying, but it is quite natural. On my last brew, the airlock seemed to have stopped nearly all activity after five days in the primary. After a week I racked to secondar, and it took at least a day before I heard the first "plop" from the airlock. I think that from then on and over the next week it was once every 30 minutes or so.

You racked it right - you left the sludge.

Don't worry, mate - from what I can hear you've done it just right and you will most likely get good beer out of it! And as a bit of advice for any batch you brew from now on; You will have to be pretty damned certain that a batch has gone bad before wanting to throw it out. During the process, there are stages where your beer will taste pretty awful compared to what you are aiming for, but with maturing it will end up just right.

Don't discard a thing - continue with the batch and enjoy. Remember to let us know how it turns out. :)

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

[edited to note: Ferret beat me to it and managed to say it all in two lines!]

Jen-Kristian,

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I will defiantly keep the brew and report back on my first batch.

Recent inspection of the airlock did show some activity. However, it is slow. I was simply concerned that I had destroyed the fermentation process upon the initial racking.

Back