New brewer from the LBC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have been wanting to start dabbling with home-brews for a while and just picked up a brew kit from my local brewer's supply for my birthday. I've been reading some John Palmer and doing research before I start my first batch. Starting out with an IPA kit since that's pretty much all I drink.

I'm basically searching for pointers and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I get brewing and hopefully come out with a decent beer in the end.

Cheers!
Justin

Welcome Justin....
What yeast did your kit come with?

I think my biggest rookie mistake... the one that had a significant impact on flavor, was too high of a fermentation temperature. I followed the kit instructions, brought my wort down to the mid to low 70's and pitched my yeast. I figured since that's what the instructions said.... it must be right.

Additionally, I was so impatient on getting to sip that first brew that I didn't let it sit in the primary long enough for the yeast to completely do it's job. I let it ferment at room temp for 10 days and then I bottled. If you will follow some of the excellent advice on here your first brew will turn out better than mine did.

Patience is a virtue..... It also makes you a better brewer!

Welcome Justin....
What yeast did your kit come with?

I think my biggest rookie mistake... the one that had a significant impact on flavor, was too high of a fermentation temperature. I followed the kit instructions, brought my wort down to the mid to low 70's and pitched my yeast. I figured since that's what the instructions said.... it must be right.

Additionally, I was so impatient on getting to sip that first brew that I didn't let it sit in the primary long enough for the yeast to completely do it's job. I let it ferment at room temp for 10 days and then I bottled. If you will follow some of the excellent advice on here your first brew will turn out better than mine did.

Patience is a virtue..... It also makes you a better brewer!

it was a California Ale yeast, http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/wl-california-ale.html?gclid=CPSj15juxLwCFQlhfgoduW8Atw
What temps were you fermenting at that were too high?

Welcome! We are in the same boat only I'm starting with a blonde beer. What kit are you using? Any shops local to you? I only found one shop in Culver City here

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Welcome! We are in the same boat only I'm starting with a blonde beer. What kit are you using? Any shops local to you? I only found one shop in Culver City here

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am using a kit my local brew shop in Long Beach, Stein Fillers, put together/sells. Has pretty much all I need for now. I'll be upgrading to a larger brew kettle, getting an additional fermenter next and most likely making a wort chiller.

Back