New Brewer from Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arl6280

Reaction score
That's a lie, actually. I am from Massachusetts(Go Bruins!), just displaced in a small town in western Oregon.
I am a new brewer, 3 batches under my belt. First one tasted like prison hooch. Did not take sanitation seriously enough and it was sour city. I also realized a few other mistakes I made and have high hopes for the 2nd and 3rd batches. Just bottled batch 2 and moved 3 into secondary yesterday. Right now I'm rocking extract style, mainly because of space and time, I am interested in moving to all grain at some point, maybe BIAB first..

Look forward to talking to all of you,
Cheers!
-A

Welcome to your new addiction and HBT!
We serve day and night.

Read around here on recipe ideas, techniques, processes, etc. Brewing is 50% ingredients and 50% process (or 20/80). Kit instructions tend to be heavily outdated* and often contain erroneous or misleading information.
I can recommend John Palmer's How to Brew, in its 4th edition now.

Through cleaning and good sanitation practices are paramount.
So is temperature control of your fermentations.

* Secondaries are NOT needed in most day to day brews. From now on leave your beer in the 'primary' until ready to package (keg/bottle).

BIAB is a form of all-grain brewing. And an excellent method for doing so. ;)

Back