New brewer as well from Houston, Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twisted1146

Reaction score
Merry Christmas yall. I just got my first brew kit today. I can't wait to start making my own beer. I work for Telcom company here in Houston. I am looking forward to learning from those more experienced than me.

Merry Christmas and congrats on getting a homebrew kit. You've taken a very wise first step in finding this place. Everything you need or want to know about brewing (and other stuff ) can be found here. There are a lot of great people too.

Welcome to the forum my fellow Houstonian.

Congrats on the new brew kit !

I am a noob as well. I have brewed 3 batches so far. The people on here are a wealth of knowledge and they are very helpful. You came to the right place.

Good luck in your new found hobby and keep us posted as to how it's going.

If I can offer a couple of pieces of advice they would be...

Keep everything clean and sanitized
Read...read and read.

If you get a chance go to Defalcos over off of 610 loop south and Stella Link. That is a great brew shop and the people there are knowledgeable and very helpful.

I am no expert but if I can help with what I know so far I will sure try.

Cheers !
:mug:

Welcome to the forum. The forum is great for reading up on brewing. Defalcos is great for information as was mention. There are are also plenty of homebrew clubs in the area as well.

The most important question is what will your first beer be?

Thanks for all the well wishes. Is there a optimal outside temp for me to start brewing? Today is 43 degrees in Houston.

Welcome to a great hobby.

The challenge here in Houston is not what temperature to brew but how to keep the temperature correct for proper fermentation. You need to plan ahead to make sure that you can control you temperature once you get your brew into the primary. I use a 7 cu ft freezer with a STC 1000 controller. Works great.

My other advise is to fine a homebrew club. Lots of good information and plenty of experience to draw from. Any you get to sample lots of great brews.

Back