New Brew Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLovinBeast57

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking at a new brew pot and have narrowed it down to 2:

71+2OW8EblL._SL1500_.jpg

1. http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Group-Quart-Aluminum-Stock/dp/B001PZBEKE/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1393554182&sr=1-4&keywords=40+qt+pot

71jIP0zArML._SL1500_.jpg

2. http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Home-NC-00208-Professional-Aluminum/dp/B00AH9QEWM/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_02_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are both aluminum and generally the same price.
The first one is taller and not as wide.. I think it may be a bit thicker too.
The second one is a lot wider (more evaporation) and not as tall, but it does come with a lid!

Which one do you think I should get?

Last edited by a moderator:
The one with a smaller diameter opening will be easier to control the boil off rate. Are you doing full boils with this?

Yep that's the plan... I also don't want to have to constantly be worrying about a boil over so that's why the taller one seemed like a good choice.

Does having a lid really come in handy that often? I feel like I don't ever really use my lid...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd go with the taller pot. Less surface area for evaporation, and less chance that your IC will be too tall for your pot.

I'd get a lid. I use mine during cooling to keep miscellaneous crap from falling into my nice clean wort.

Well the lid will help conserve energy to get a boil going but after that you need the lid off to boil off things like DMS.

I wouldn't worry about the lid. You can make something make shift if you really need to get it boiling faster.

Now are you going to use a heat stick, big propane burner or is your stove powerful enough?

Well the lid will help conserve energy to get a boil going but after that you need the lid off to boil off things like DMS.

I wouldn't worry about the lid. You can make something make shift if you really need to get it boiling faster.

Now are you going to use a heat stick, big propane burner or is your stove powerful enough?

Exactly, that's why I don't really use my current lid haha

I have a propane burner that I believe is 50,000 BTU.. Gets to a rolling boil fairly fast

get the lid. also. Look at the Winco (may also be listed as Winware) aluminum pots. very solidly built though the lid is extra.

Definitely get the lid.

I guess another question is, what's the benefit of having a lid?

Do you use some kind of chiller, or an ice bath? If the latter, I would recommend getting the lid, as you will want to keep out nasties during that long cool-down period.

I think I'm either buying or building my own chiller for my next batch (broke college kid on a budget haha).

Apparently its supposed to be better if you let all the steam out while cooling the wort.. Also it takes forever to cool it when covered!

Latest posts

Back