NEW Blichman "Cornical" Fermenter/Kegging System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazer Wolf Brewing

Reaction score
Just got an email about this new Blichmann product this morning. It's a conical fermentor that transforms into a corny keg when done fermenting so you don't have to rack. I think it's a really awesome concept. Initial thoughts vs my process (brewtech brew bucket, keg off sampling port):

Pros:
Don't have to sanitize a keg prior to racking
Don't have to purge a corny with co2 prior to racking
Basically your beer has zeo chance of coming into contact with O2
Saves on some overall cleaning time

Cons:
Have to buy multiple blichmann cornies, can't find pricing on those
Too expensive for me personally (not including multiple cornies)
About 3.5ft tall...might be too tall for some people

What do you guys think? My initial reaction is I would love to try this for one brew and see how well it works. I'm assuming if its Blichmann that it probably does what it says it does. I couldn't afford it but it likes like something that would definitely make things a little easier.

I'd take a pass on that one. $500 Rather have a dedicated conical that can do pressurized transfers. Its a neat idea, but you would need to buy a couple cornies through them if you are producing a bunch of batches while the others are serving. At $175 a pop, thats not cheap.

I just took a look at the video. I don't think they are for me, since I brew ten gallon batches and would need at least four of them to get a pipeline of beer going. Also, I would get very nervous turning that thing upside down to swap out the bottom.

I have a conical from SS Brewtech that cost about the same, but holds 14 gallons and seems like an easier process. Though removing the bottom of the keg to clean seems pretty cool.

Back