New beer style- need some help with hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
so im making what im calling a heferoggen. Rye ale (malted, flaked, crystal) with wb06 yeast for some clove flavor.

Long story short, i goofed and f’d setting the fermenter temp. I meant to keep the wort at 64 for extra clove, but misread the box and set it for 84. Cooling, not heating. Got distracted and didn’t catch it until day 3. So this one smells more banana right now, probably been in low 70s.

As for hops, i was initially thinking some C hops or something to go with the rye beer profile when it was rye and clove. But now that i have banana rye, im at a loss as to how to hop it.

So looking for ideas for both versions- rye and clove when i brew it again correctly, and rye and banana for this one, on the hopes that this is one of those happy accidents that turns into a winner.

Hey, it could happen.

That doesn’t sound like a beer that would benefit from an American dry hop flavor to me... maybe something more noble like willamette or northern brewer, or just some saaz?

Otherwise I’d just let some of the yeast drop out and see if some of that banana doesn’t fade away.

i assume you are referring to the banana version? yeah, dont think citrus and pine are a good fit. nobles were a though. possibly even some fruity stuff like belma, citra, etc. but worried that might be too "fruit punch" or "sangria" if the banana doesnt die down a bit....

Back