new beer i just picked up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsteele1234

Reaction score
i got some paulener , hoegardeen, blue moon and sierra nevada, are these any good and are they worth it...there in the fridge now so i dont know yet

I like both Hoegarden and Sierra Nevada (the Kellerweis, haven't had any others) a lot. Blue Moon I'm not fond of at all, but a lot of other people seem to like it. Never had Paulener. Looks like you're in for a nice day of taste testing! :mug:

yeah im actually about to open the paulener so i will let you know if its any good

the paulaner is nice and tasty its a hefe

Yes, it is. The Blue Moon is a Coors product, and a terrible example of what I assume is supposed to be a wit. If you add a slice of orange, it might be tolerable. The Hoegaarden is a good example.

All of Sierra Nevada's stuff is solid, but none stand out as "great". The best part of the pale ale is that it's a great gateway beer for new craft beer drinkers. It's a good standard everyday pale ale.

damn that company has the beer industry on lock...i had no idea they owned bud light and all those is that why you boycott

yeah i wish i woulda asked before i went...any beers i should look for next time?

yeah i wish i woulda asked before i went...any beers i should look for next time?

Where do you live? There are literally hundreds of great beers that may be available where you are.

I don't boycott InBev, but I do try to stay away from buying macrobrews that "hide" behind other names, like the Blue Moon deal. It's brewed by Coors, but they want to seem craft-beer-like so they label it as "Blue Moon Brewing Company". Plus, it's a terrible wit anyway.

There are some great examples of all kinds of styles of beer from dopplebocks to pale ales.

i live in new orleans.. i went to this world market and they do have flying dog

yeah my two friends brew for them but you cant use there bottle unless you have a floor capper

I'm not boycotting anybody. If the beer tastes good to me, I'll drink it and I'll drink just about any beer :)
I never had a Blue Moon until just recently. It was good, a change of pace, but I don't think I'd like to drink a lot of it. I've been trying some cheaper beers and one that surprised me was Michelob Pale Ale. It's pretty good for $5.50 a 6 pack, plus - reusable bottles.

im all about reusable bottle im drinking blue moon right now but i dont like it at all

You can't go wrong with the Sierra Nevada beers. They're all solid beers. If you can get your hands on their Torpedo IIPA, that's a good one of theirs.

I'll second the recommendation for Abita. We go down to New Orleans every October, and I look forward to having Abita everywhere I go. I'm partial to their Restoration Pale Ale, but their Amber is good as well as their Jockamo IPA. I hear that they have a specialty brew out called Andygator that has gotten some great reviews. If you like brown ales, they have one called Turbo Dog.

yeah dude my two friends brew for abita so when you come down let me know and i can get you a free case or so

yeah dude my two friends brew for abita so when you come down let me know and i can get you a free case or so

That's a nice offer! Thanks. You should take advantage of that while you can. Try their different beers, figure out what you like on their dime lol.

yeah believe me there root beer is really good so is turbo dog...the only thing is that u cant reuse the bottles

Dont forget to rouse the yeast!

And who cares who makes it, or who owns it. Yeah Blue Moon is brewed by Coors but so what?

And Paulaner is now owned by inbev/ab, but guess what? It's still Paulaner and it's not like inbev uses their profits to club baby seals or something.

Blue Moon is my standby at the local bar, it's absolutely delicious with a slice of orange. Sure, it's Coors, but it's good Coors.

I forgot that Blue Moon is owned by Coors, And not AB InBev. I'm ok with Miller/Coors, but I still don't like Blue Moon.

And who cares who makes it, or who owns it. Yeah Blue Moon is brewed by Coors but so what?

And Paulaner is now owned by inbev/ab, but guess what? It's still Paulaner and it's not like inbev uses their profits to club baby seals or something.
I care who owns it because of their business practices.
I don't support bully corporations that try to put smaller breweries out of business.

I forgot that Blue Moon is owned by Coors, And not AB InBev. I'm ok with Miller/Coors, but I still don't like Blue Moon.

I care who owns it because of their business practices.
I don't support bully corporations that try to put smaller breweries out of business.

Do you have examples - besides general free market competition? I see them buying a lot of beer brands and making them bigger, aka Paulaner, which I'm seeing more and more of.

I had turbo dog a while back... good stuff IMO

I agree. I'm partial to brown ales, and that is one that I buy regularly. Along with Moose Drool. The flavor on these really come out as it warms up a bit. If they are too cold, the flavors just aren't as prevelant.

Beer Wars brings out a lot of disparaging facts about AB and IN-Bev that a lot of people don't know about. However, I can't avoid a great beer like Bass, Becks or Leffe. There are to many beers on the smaller level that are definitely worth the extra couple of bucks that I'd rather spend my money on. Rogue makes awesome beers (Dead Guy being my favorite) and other great companies like Dogfish Head, Chimay, Unibroue beers offer great styles as well. Don't forget good ole PBR :p an American classic! To me the best Heffe is made by Widmer Bros.

+1 on the 80+ IBU's

Sierra Navada Torpedo = awsome
Sweetwater IPA = awsome
Dogfish 90min IPA = AWSOME
Southern Teir IPA
Two hearted Ale
Hop Devil IPA
Undercover shut down ale (Lagunitas brewing co)
Harpoon IPA
ALL STONE PRODUCTS

Beer Wars brings out a lot of disparaging facts about AB and IN-Bev that a lot of people don't know about. However, I can't avoid a great beer like Bass, Becks or Leffe. There are to many beers on the smaller level that are definitely worth the extra couple of bucks that I'd rather spend my money on. Rogue makes awesome beers (Dead Guy being my favorite) and other great companies like Dogfish Head, Chimay, Unibroue beers offer great styles as well. Don't forget good ole PBR :p an American classic! To me the best Heffe is made by Widmer Bros.

Man the guys here are one tough crowd. (almost get the impression that if one likes a mass produced beer, you know nothing about beer and have no taste buds.)

But I've always been a Bass and Becks guy. Though I like the SNPA a LOT more then Bass. Has a much better hop nose, and a nice fruityness to it. (and can usually get it a few buck cheaper, and since its American, less subject to transport temp swings.) Widmere Heffe is a fav too (Drop Top isn't bad either) Sweetwater PA, Portland brewry's Slap Shot (just wish I could get it here)

wait, wait, wait... so paulaner was bought by AB InBev? I made a thread about this about a month ago and everyone bashed me for being so ridiculous

Man the guys here are one tough crowd. (almost get the impression that if one likes a mass produced beer, you know nothing about beer and have no taste buds.)
I'm never going to tell anyone what to drink or downplay their preference. My comment was a reflection of how I spend my money, not just on beer but everything. If I learn about a company's business practices and don't agree with it, I spend my money elsewhere. Other's agree with that and not everyone knows the extent of the brands owned by AB/InBev.

wait, wait, wait... so paulaner was bought by AB InBev? I made a thread about this about a month ago and everyone bashed me for being so ridiculous
I don't know about Paulaner, it's not on the list I mentioned. I was thinking of Blue Moon, but I was corrected that it's made by Miller/Coors.

2 of the first three are owned by AB/In-Bev, so personally I boycott them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InBev_brands

Never had Paulener.

SN is tasty though! :mug:

I don't understand logic like this. If its a good beer and you like it, then why boycott it because its made by a major brewer? To actually go out of your way to boycott anything they produce is ridiculous. What happens when Sam Adams Becomes the #1 brewer in the world (not saying its going to happen)? Are you going to boycott them? AB start just as small, if not smaller than any other beer company.

I don't understand logic like this. If its a good beer and you like it, then why boycott it because its made by a major brewer? To actually go out of your way to boycott anything they produce is ridiculous. What happens when Sam Adams Becomes the #1 brewer in the world (not saying its going to happen)? Are you going to boycott them? AB start just as small, if not smaller than any other beer company.

How many times do I have to say this?!? Read the rest of my replies!

I have no problem with a company being large. It's their overall business practices that I don't agree with!

The thing I love about the craft beer community is that it is just that. A community. Collaborations. Sharing of information and recipes. Believing in your product and you don't feel threatened to the point where you feel that you need to squash the competition.

I'm sure that Miller/Coors does this to an extent, but AB/InBev has represented it in spades! It's my personal preference to spend my money on companies and businesses that reflect the same philosophy as me. That's my right.

Not once did I poo poo another member here for buying something by InBev, I merely expressed my opinion and preferences.

I don't understand logic like this. If its a good beer and you like it, then why boycott it..

What if it became public knowledge that your beer of choice is manufactured by child molesters or people who openly deal in slave labor? If it's good beer, and you like it... what's the problem? Obviously I'm using a bit of hyperbole here, but I hope you get my point.

Back