New attempt..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNOYES88

Reaction score
at a personally devised recipe. Any ideas, recommendations, are welcomed.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: HopTARDed APA

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 75 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Efficiency: 75%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.075
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 7.27%
IBU (tinseth): 130.33
SRM (morey): 11.49

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (57.1%)
2 lb - Honey (19%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (9.5%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1.5 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (14.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Summit (AA 18.5) for 75 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Nugget (AA 14) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Summit (AA 18.5) for 45 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Columbus (AA 15) for 25 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Citra (AA 11) for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Citra (AA 11) for 2 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Citra (AA 11) for 14 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop
2 oz - Summit (AA 18.5) for 14 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 g - biofoam, Type: Water Agt, Use: Other

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale II 1272
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temperature: 60 F - 72 F

PRIMING:
Method: corn sugar
Amount: 5 oz

NOTES:
ADD HONEY IN LAST 2 MINS WITH LAST ADDITION OF CITRA HOPS.

Looks more like an IPA with all those hops. 60 minutes would be fine for plenty of bittering. I'd cut the 45 min addition,adding it at 25 minutes left. You want hop flavor & aroma more than straight bittering if this is to be an Americqan APA/IPA.

My comments; take them however you want:

1) Why honey. It is just expensive sugar. Replace with 1.5 lbs table sugar. You probably need some sugar to dry it out. For an APA, 1.5 lbs maybe too much, but might be appropriate due to the high OG.

2) 1.5 lbs Crystal is a lot. SNPA only has 1 lb. Higher gravity IPAs tend to have less to help dry them out. Your call on the balance between high gravity and sweetness. I'd cut it down to 12 ozs.

3) Any hop addition over 60 minutes really doesn't buy you anything. I'm sure there is a subtle difference, but I've never noticed it. Might as well make all early hop additions 60 minutes.

4) Any hops added before 20 minutes might as well be 60 minute additions. I'm sure there are some benefits to 'intermediate' hops, but again. I've never noticed them.

5) IBUs of 130 (if you can really get them) are way too high for an APA, even an IPA. Arrogant Bastard only has about 80. There seems to be a perceived IBU limit around 100 IBUs, so anything more is a waste.

6) With a 1.075 wort, you would be advised to make a starter with the yeast.

Calder. Thanks for the input! I was thinking about cutting down on the steeping grains. I definately want the dry hoppyness. On the honey, I get it dirt cheap, and every beer with honey ive ever done has turned out amazing with a slight honey flavor but crisp finish. Good call on the yeast though, I didnt even think about that. I may add some straight table sugar like you said. I want to up the ABV without affecting much flavor.

There are a couple things I would change.

Your boil time is too long for extract. All you're doing is boiling off more water and caramelizing your wort. When I did extract I only boiled 45 minutes.

2 weeks is way too long for dry hopping. Something less than a week, like 3-4 days seems to be the sweet spot.

If you want to make an APA why not drop the honey (I cant stand it in beer but thats just me), dont add any table sugar and save about half the hops for the next brew. Since you are only steeping and are doing such a small boil with top off I don't think the crystal is going to be too much.

Here are my suggestions.

That is a TON of hops, I put it in beersmith and i got 152.4 IBUs.

Additionally I would agree that 14 days is way to long for dry hopping, I have had good experience with 5-7 days.

If you are stuck on that hop schedule, I would cut the amount of all hop additions by at least 1/2. (it will also save you some money).

Also the honey. I find that it gives it a dry taste, the beer. If you want a subtle honey flavor, why not try a small amount of honey malt instead? Maybe like 4-6oz.

Is 5-7 days dry hopping enough even if i cant get whole leaf hops? Would you guys strain the wort going into the primary? Or would you leave the hop sediment n let the wort sit on top of it during primary fermentation?

Is 5-7 days dry hopping enough even if i cant get whole leaf hops? Would you guys strain the wort going into the primary? Or would you leave the hop sediment n let the wort sit on top of it during primary fermentation?

5-7 days is plenty long enough. Pellets are going to be even more efficient than leaf for dry hopping. Some folks stain (I do), some don't. I don't think it makes a big difference.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: HopTARDed APA

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Efficiency: 75%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 7.02%
IBU (tinseth): 90.76
SRM (morey): 9.82

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (60%)
2 lb - Honey (20%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Amber (10%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (10%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Summit (AA 18.5) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Summit (AA 18.5) for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Columbus (AA 15) for 20 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Citra (AA 11) for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Citra (AA 11) for 2 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Citra (AA 11) for 7 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop
1 oz - Summit (AA 18.5) for 7 days, Type: Pellet, Use: Dry Hop

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 g - biofoam, Type: Water Agt, Use: Other

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale II 1272 (Starter)
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temperature: 60 F - 72 F

PRIMING:
Method: corn sugar
Amount: 5 oz

NOTES:
ADD HONEY IN LAST 2 MINS WITH LAST ADDITION OF CITRA HOPS.

I really have enjoyed honey beers in the past so ill keep that, but how about the hop, malt, and time revisions?

Just know that 2 oz of dry hops for 7 days is going to be IN YOUR FACE hop aroma.

As for adding the hops, I dry hop about 7 days after I rack to a secondary. I bought a small mesh bag which contains the hops, and I put a SS ball baring in it to keep it submerged in the beer. The ball baring, also helps when I go to take the bag out of the carboy.

Also another note on dry hopping, just make sure you wait till the fermentation is done, if you are only using a primary fermenter. Let it sit for 2 weeks, then add the hops and then rack/bottle it.

Latest posts

Back