New and interested ^^ would you help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakarrot

Reaction score
first of all sorry for my bad english
i used to drink and i like to drink
happens that iam now working in a country which at alcohol is prohibted ( yea its what you think ) :D

i've read alot about homebrewing and ciders .. someone told me i may go blind drinking this !! is that real ?

heres the real point i cant obtain an airlock is it safe to use ballon

i've so many questions but i guess this is enough for now !!

Thank You and i appreciate your answers !!

Yes. You will go blind if you drink ciders. Thats why so many people make and drink them around the world. Apparently people just hate being able to see.

Also, if alcohol is banned in your country, should you really be making alcohol?

i lol'ed so hard man .. people just hate being able to see :D :D

and its not my country iam egyptian and just working there :)

and thank you !

Kev, no need to be an ass.

Kakarrot,
Most of us will try to be as helpful as we can, welcome to the forum.
Kev's second point is right on, don't go and get your self in trouble. That said if you dont have an airlock you can always open ferment, or just look into always using a blow-off tube setup. I'm sure you could make up a makeshift airlock with materials readily available.
The blinding issue only applies to distilling as far as I know, not cider.

Kev, no need to be an ass.

Kakarrot,
Most of us will try to be as helpful as we can, welcome to the forum.
Kev's second point is right on, don't go and get your self in trouble. That said if you dont have an airlock you can always open ferment, or just look into always using a blow-off tube setup. I'm sure you could make up a makeshift airlock with materials readily available.
The blinding issue only applies to distilling as far as I know, not cider.

Uh oh, here comes the internet police. Seriously man? Just having some fun. Even the OP laughed. Lighten up, its called a joke. Feel free to look at my posts if you want to call me out as being "unhelpful" or an ass.

And so I dont get called an ass again for making a joke...

Yes, you could probably use a balloon, although you may run into some issues with it (keeping it attached/not blowing it up) so I would look into possibly using a blowoff tube (a bunch of threads on here about them).

But I still think you should steer clear of illegal activities in a country where it sounds like you are a guest.

On a side note, TIL that alcohol is illegal in Egypt

thekraken
it's worth the risk iam sure as im going to stay here for couple of years.
the only yeast available here this brewer's yeast tablets or instant yeast ?
doest it work ?

thank you.

Uh oh, here comes the internet police. Seriously man? Just having some fun. Even the OP laughed. Lighten up, its called a joke. Feel free to look at my posts if you want to call me out as being "unhelpful" or an ass.

And so I dont get called an ass again for making a joke...

Yes, you could probably use a balloon, although you may run into some issues with it (keeping it attached/not blowing it up) so I would look into possibly using a blowoff tube (a bunch of threads on here about them).

But I still think you should steer clear of illegal activities in a country where it sounds like you are a guest.

On a side note, TIL that alcohol is illegal in Egypt

noway alcohol would be illegal in egypt .. liquor stores everywhere
iam in saudi arabia where everything good is illegal.

thekraken
it's worth the risk iam sure as im going to stay here for couple of years.
the only yeast available here this brewer's yeast tablets or instant yeast ?
doest it work ?

thank you.

Brewers yeast tablets like the vitamins? I dont know squat about those, but I would be willing to be they have other stuff in them that you dont want in a cider.

If any I would use the instant yeast, but its still not ideal. Brewing yeast is highly modified and designed to be used for brewing within certain parameters. Can you find an online retailer that will deliver?

even at the hotels? (been to Bahrain myself, there was liquor at the hotels, and some private residences).

You sure it is worth the risk?

Sharia courts have a bad habit of convict now, make an example, extradite later. You would still be breaking local laws.

it's not rocket surgery. you won't go blind. i don't know if you run any risk of getting in legal trouble, but if you are doing it at home, probably not that much.

If i were in your position, i would buy some apple juice withouth preservatives, throw some bread yeast in, and see what happens. The worst that could happen is it would not taste great.

back when I was a teen, I took some apple juice in a tall glass, mixed in some of mom's bread yeast, and floated a layer of vegetable oil on top as make-shift airlock. It worked. Tasted like sh*t, but it worked.

that said, if I were in your situation I would probably give up drinking for a while. It's just not worth it.

back when I was a teen, I took some apple juice in a tall glass, mixed in some of mom's bread yeast, and floated a layer of vegetable oil on top as make-shift airlock. It worked. Tasted like sh*t, but it worked.

that said, if I were in your situation I would probably give up drinking for a while. It's just not worth it.

So, as a teen, was it legal to "manufacture" alcohol?

So, as a teen, was it legal to "manufacture" alcohol?

Technically, yes. Per Oregon law:
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, the Liquor Control Act does not apply to the following:

(a) The making of homemade beer, wine or fermented fruit juice, if the total of beer, wine and fermented fruit juice produced during a calendar year does not exceed:

(A) One hundred gallons in a household having one person who is 21 years of age or older; or

(B) Two hundred gallons in a household having two or more persons who are 21 years of age or older.

it doesn't specify that the brewer must be of age. Now, consumption might be a different story but at least here a minor is allowed to drink in their own home as long as a parent gives permission.

thanks everyone i appreciate it
and about jail and laws i live in a remote city alone so i guess i'll be safe i just had one concern ( blindness ) now im comfortable thanks to you.

p.s i havent seen a woman for 6 months ..

I enjoyed this thread.
A lot.
Laws and applied science sometimes don't work out, do they? Some places just aren't conducive to the brewing arts and this is why it's always nice to be able to choose where you live and work. Been there, done that, rather not go back and lucky to realize the difference.

It wont be the alcohol sending you blind then.

You might want to find out what the local non locals do. I understand in many of these places what happens in compound stays in compound.

Funniest response I have read all day!

Back