Neverending cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix066

Reaction score
Hey,
A little while ago I decided to make a cheap and dirty apple cider. Just using apple juice, white sugar and some ale yeast. Ive been drinking it to half way (its about 5l) then topping it up so it will ferment again.

With lift or fanta its amazing. I tried adding some apple and guava juice and liked the subtle flavor despite its not even aged.
Ive been thinking of adding some pineapple juice and/ or some coconut water I have in cans sitting around. Of course none have preservatives.
What do you guys think of these last 2? Do they ferment well or am I gonna end with some exotic pruno I need to chuck away?

Btw When I start getting off flavours from staining the yeast, ill start again.

So I'm guessing no one has fermented pineapple juice or coconut water?
I have read orange juice fermented is pretty nasty, which has got me worried about pineapple and I've have heard stories of US and AUS WW2 soldiers that went mad drinking fermented coconuts while on service in the tropical areas. (could be bs)

So I'm guessing no one has fermented pineapple juice or coconut water?
I have read orange juice fermented is pretty nasty, which has got me worried about pineapple and I've have heard stories of US and AUS WW2 soldiers that went mad drinking fermented coconuts while on service in the tropical areas. (could be bs)

ive seen some recipes that call for pineapple and coconut juice, pineapple should ferment well because its very sweet, not sure about coconut, probably wont be bad tho

OK, thanks for reply
Ive added pineapple, but I have 2 cans of coconut water- both say imported from thailand.
1 lists preservatives, the other doesnt, I know that labelling laws arent very strict in Thailand so Im unsure whether they both actually do have preservatives added.
After everything else ferments Ill add the can and see what happens :)

This idea of refreshing a mid fermentation cider sounds totally disgusting; I hope you aren't drinking it straight from the primary, but at least letting it bottle condition a little.I guess it's not too different from washing yeast and repitching. Of course the longer your recycle yeast the longer chance of getting something unwanted in there.

Latest posts

Back