Never Made Cider Before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letter_K

Reaction score
Dear Forum,

I am new to brewing, cider, and this forum. I received a Mr. Beer kit as a gift and just bottled my first batch of homebrew today. I am already intrigued and would like to turn my attention to cider.

I really have tried to look around and read the wealth of information already on this board, but my limited background really hasn't prepared me to evaluate all the differing viewpoints so far. I was hoping that y'all might be able to help me.

First off, where should I find the simplest, quickest recipe that will give me a "safe" cider (carbonation optional). If I were to ferment juice without any added sugar, what sort of ABV would I expect?

Thanks for the response, truckjohn.

Before posting, I actually had read that thread as well as this one:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

It seems from those that I should probably use pasteurized preservative-free juice and Nottingham yeast. But I'm not clear on how long I should expect this to take or how strong I should expect it to be.

My straight ciders seem to take upwards of 6 months to be ready to drink. They finish fermenting earlier than that, but the sitting process seems to help the flavor. Possibly something to do with malo-lactic fermentation (turning malic acid into milder lactic acid).
I think you get about 5-6% abv if you don't add any sugar to the cider. Whip out your hydrometer and you'll be able to make a pretty good guess. Every cider I've made has gotten down to around 1.00 so you can figure on it pretty much fermenting out unless you stop it. Good luck!

Thanks for the response, Nikkimaija.

Since I'm new to this, I was hoping to do small batches with a short turnaround so I can quickly figure out whether I'm doing it right (and what suits my tastes most).

When you say that the sitting process helps the flavor, are we talking the difference between good and great (which I am willing to forgo at least in the short term), or the difference between barely drinkable and good? How long does it take for your cider to become drinkable?

Buy clear store juice (pasturized, but no preservatives). Add yeast, and wait.

Using just juice will give you about 6 to 6.5 abv (depends on the juice).

Start with clear juice and it will clear quicker.

Use an ale yeast (any), and I think it will be ready quicker.

No additional sugar = quickest to be a smooth flavor.

I recommend at least 1 month primary and 3 months before bottling. But .... you can bottle as soon as a month, and be drinking in 6 weeks. It will be better if you wait longer.

If you do bottle quickly (which I suspect you will), save a couple of the bottles for 6 months, and see how it tastes after storage. I think that will convince you to get a pipeline going so that you can leave it longer.

Wow, Calder! Thanks for the very straightforward response. I will probably follow all of your advice.

I recommend at least 1 month primary and 3 months before bottling. But .... you can bottle as soon as a month, and be drinking in 6 weeks. It will be better if you wait longer.

If I am understanding you correctly, there are 2 weeks between bottling and completion. Is this for carbonation, or do you recommend this even for still cider (which, I guess, is technically Apfelwein?)

If you do bottle quickly (which I suspect you will), save a couple of the bottles for 6 months, and see how it tastes after storage. I think that will convince you to get a pipeline going so that you can leave it longer.

Oh, you know me so well! I assure you, though, it's not at all that I don't believe you and the other posters, I am just a bit...enthusiastic about this whole process and would really rather now sooner rather than later what I need to change :)

(I just learned how to do the quotes)

Question: I understand that I can "cold crash" or pasteurize my cider to stop fermentation. Is cold-crashing as effective as pasteurization?

If preservatives inhibit yeast growth, could I just add preserved apple juice to my finished in order to simultaneously backsweeten it and kill the yeast? (assuming I am happy with still cider)?

Get Annie Proulx's book: "Cider: Making, Using, and Enjoying Hard and Sweet Cider." Great ref. for anyone wanting to make great cider.
Slainte, Mack

If I am understanding you correctly, there are 2 weeks between bottling and completion. Is this for carbonation, or do you recommend this even for still cider (which, I guess, is technically Apfelwein?)

Question: I understand that I can "cold crash" or pasteurize my cider to stop fermentation. Is cold-crashing as effective as pasteurization?

If preservatives inhibit yeast growth, could I just add preserved apple juice to my finished in order to simultaneously backsweeten it and kill the yeast? (assuming I am happy with still cider)?

2 weeks was for bottle carb. If you want still, bottle anytime after fermentation is complete (the longer the better).

I like mine dry so I don't mess with cold-crashing or back-sweetening. Seems like too much of a hassle to me.

Thanks for the response, Nikkimaija.

are we talking the difference between good and great (which I am willing to forgo at least in the short term), or the difference between barely drinkable and good? How long does it take for your cider to become drinkable?

I just keep tasting the stuff until I find that I like it. I press my own cider, and it's always a random blend of whatever apples anyone gives me or I can scavenge so there's obviously less consistency than using the stuff you get in a jug. My first batch was unpalatably tart, almost sour, and smelled like vinegar for months. I was sure it would be ****e but didn't want to actually pour it out. I finally bottled when I didn't grimace upon tasting. So I guess I would say the difference was the step up from barely drinkable. I'm thinking if you want it sweet, you could get away with bottling and drinking quicker. Some of mine I've made sweet, but most I prefer dry and sparkling. The bubbles in the uber-dry stuff made it pretty much awesome.

Back