Never had a NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sez Who?

And yet here you are trying to redefine beer. And, how hazy? Where do you draw the line? If you don't like them, I'm cool with that. It's your personal choice. But don't try and take my fun away.
I could draw political analogies here but won't, as it's not appropriate.
But I'm not redefining beer and dragging it off to a ridiculously superfluous therefore wasteful reinvention just to be different. Nor am I saying people can't enjoy NEIPAs if that's what they like. I'm merely pointing out it isn't 'beer' according to any definition. Not simply my 'biased' understanding of what's considered beer.

it isn't 'beer' according to any definition
malted barley, water, hops, yeast... some people might consider that a definition of beer but I guess YMMV.

Am I the only guy who's ever wondered just how clear a 19th century ale that spent several months in a cask with a huge dry hop load would have been by the time it was served?

Was it Benjamin Franklin or Thomas Jefferson who said:
"A beer is like a woman. Each man has his tastes, and each man is correct. However most men, when drunk, will rarely turn down any of either."

So... to each his or her own.

As to @Clint Yeastwood op:

I think the amount of true (i.e. really dam good) hazy's is about 5% or so... the other 95% is just ok, or worse.
Freshness is key as mentioned... our house rule is to buy only cans, and only 30 days or less fresh. Drink within 45 days.
Also- based on how close one is to the brewer matters.... i.e. West coasters (like me) have examples not applicable to y'all on the East coast.
Also- i do think batch size matters... to me, the smaller barrell producers make the best hazy's.
I would suggest:
Moonraker or Humble Sea as the only two true 'great' hazy's on the west coast. Although Original Pattern comes close.
Plenty of other really good, really close examples out here... but to me thoose two are the best.

Attachments

• Wave Nectar.jpg
    Wave Nectar.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
BJCP classifies it as 21C. Hazy IPA

"Also known as New England IPA or NEIPA."

I say that's a fair definition of it as a beer style.
BJCP guidelines are what they are, a workaround for competitions and beer judging. I'd be happy for them to re-categorise NEIPAs as 'barley-based hop cocktails'. Would you enjoy them any less if they did? I like IPAs generally, but not NEIPAs. NEIPA is 'in-your-face' and like burping 'vomit' with a textured, oily thickness that coats my palate and teeth. With few exceptions, beer is bright by default and that brightness is what helps present the subtle complexities of beer. It's a relatively simple affair really. Really no need to overdue it. Some people think more is better, even when less is more.

Actually, it's an opinion of yours. Which you're certainly welcome to have, but that's all it is...

Cheers!
Not really. Beer by default doesn't look or taste anything like NEIPA. NEIPA is an artificial outgroup that relies on divergent methods not consistent with those generally recognised in brewing beer.

Sez Who?

And yet here you are trying to redefine beer. And, how hazy? Where do you draw the line? If you don't like them, I'm cool with that. It's your personal choice. But don't try and take my fun away.
I could draw political analogies here but won't, as it's not appropriate.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like it's all about the hopping.
No, there's more to it, apparently. It's got to be hazy. You can even buy additives that make beer hazy nowadays. For decades, home brewers wanted bright beer. Now some actively make beer hazy just for appearances. Is that very strong peer pressure or what? Apparently, if you can see through beer, it doesn't have enough flavour. Some people claim to be able to see flavour. It gets funnier the more it gets questioned.

I think it is silly to sit here an have a pissing contest. It is very clear that whatever we say he is not going to agree with or have some reason we are "wrong". So, I will just say this, if you like it and it is what you want to drink, then go for it. Please, let's just let him have his say and be done with it. Have a "beer" or whatever you want to call it and let's move on. Peace Out!!!!!!

BJCP guidelines are what they are, a workaround for competitions and beer judging. I'd be happy for them to re-categorise NEIPAs as 'barley-based hop cocktails'. Would you enjoy them any less if they did? I like IPAs generally, but not NEIPAs. NEIPA is 'in-your-face' and like burping 'vomit' with a textured, oily thickness that coats my palate and teeth. With few exceptions, beer is bright by default and that brightness is what helps present the subtle complexities of beer. It's a relatively simple affair really. Really no need to overdue it. Some people think more is better, even when less is more.

It's not my concern what you think of the category/style.

I'm merely pointing out it isn't 'beer' according to any definition.

The point was there is a category/style/definition.

Beer isn’t supposed to be like a ‘fruit juice bomb’. Smoothies, some cocktails, desserts, etc., but not beer. That’s not me being closed minded or denying anyone the right to buy into expressing their inner self and freedom to try alternatives to beer. It’s me denying millennials and hipsters the freedom to redefine beer that much; like carbonated chicken stock with enough fruity hops to mask the chickeness and finer qualities associated with beer. Call it what it is, heavily hopped barley-based fruity cocktails. Beer is much more subtle. If we compare NEIPA with beer, it stands out like a sore thumb and pushes typical ales and lagers into much more comparable groups, which is interesting. Ales and lagers are more comparable to each other than either is to NEIPA. I used to enjoy the occasional American craft beer years ago, when they were identifiable as beer. Now imports and local copies just seem to be murky and taste a little bit like mild vomit.
LOL. Who says? NEIPAs are made the same way other ales and lagers are made. Water, Grain, Yeast and Hops. Sours also stand out like a sore thumb, but they're some of the best beer in the world. Just because you don't like a certain style doesn't mean it's not a style. Ales and lagers can be as different from one another to the point where someone who knows nothing about beer wouldn't even think they're both beer! A Russian Imperial Stout is as far from a German Pilsner as OJ is from milk.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse, and this thread will most likely dive into the "Keep IPAs clear! thread", but long live the NEIPA :)

Just wait until they hear about fruited sour slushy beers...
NEIPA is equally stranger to the beer culture. The techniques are different from normal beer. Has a short shelf live, must be drunk as soon as possible and some brew heresies in 5 days, or less, grain to glass time. Keg and forced carbonation is mandatory. Also, the flavour profile is very dissonant compared to other beers.

Wich isn't a bad thing, actually. Imagine if all beers are equal? Boring...

I don't like NEIPAs, just to be clear. 😂

Who am I to say something? I brew some heresies too.
Saison Stout anyone? 4% ABV, 50 IBU (calculated). BE-134 yeast. Fantastic!

Seems like it's all about the hopping. If someone is getting that right, the style should be fine.
You started a war here, accept the consequences! 😂

LOL. Who says? NEIPAs are made the same way other ales and lagers are made. Water, Grain, Yeast and Hops. Sours also stand out like a sore thumb, but they're some of the best beer in the world. Just because you don't like a certain style doesn't mean it's not a style. Ales and lagers can be as different from one another to the point where someone who knows nothing about beer wouldn't even think they're both beer! A Russian Imperial Stout is as far from a German Pilsner as OJ is from milk.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse, and this thread will most likely dive into the "Keep IPAs clear! thread", but long live the NEIPA :)
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!

NEIPAs are made the same way other ales and lagers are made.
Mate, if you had worked as a brewer in a commercial brewery, including a craft brewery, over 10 years ago and you presented your boss with a NEIPA, you'd have been lucking with just getting fired. Let's just stop pretending NEIPA is a legitimate beer style. If people want to drink it, though, I'm fine with that. I don't actually have a problem with NEIPA as such. Other people do.

I am willing to say beer isn't supposed to be like Bud or Miller and take the flames for it, because I sincerely believe those products are made for people who dislike beer, deliberately using inferior ingredients and making up for it with great advertising, but I would not say beer is not supposed to be like a fruit juice bomb.

Whatever NEIPA is, it is actual beer, made with real stuff, dependent on quality and flavor, not CGI frogs, to push sales.

BUT I think it must be true that there are many young people out there who are delaying developing a taste for beers with a more adult taste, because they're drinking very sweet beers that let them put off acquiring the tastes beer drinkers have developed for centuries. It seems to me there must be a lot of kids out there who need to take off the training wheels and see what other styles there are.

Today I'm checking on an ale I just made. As I tried it, it made me realize it gives me a lot of what I wanted when I tried Hazy Little Thing. It's heavily hopped but still somewhat sweet, and even though I made it with Nugget and Crystal, it seems kind of citrusy. I don't know how that happened, because Crystal has been spicy for me in the past.

It's at 1.014 right now, and there is plenty of suspended yeast, so it's not done. It should hit 1.012.

Maybe next time I should dump a tablespoon of flour in the boil for haze and hit it with some Citra and Bergamot on top of the Crystal. I could jack up the crystal malt slightly, too. Somebody here told me flour would create permanent haze.

if you had worked as a brewer in a commercial brewery, including a craft brewery, over 10 years ago and you presented your boss with a NEIPA, you'd have been lucking with just getting fired
Over here in the real world, it was first brewed 20 years ago at a commercial brewery in Vermont. I'm pretty sure nobody got fired. But maybe the inventor owned the brewery, so there's that.

Mate, if you had worked as a brewer in a commercial brewery, including a craft brewery, over 10 years ago and you presented your boss with a NEIPA, you'd have been lucking with just getting fired. Let's just stop pretending NEIPA is a legitimate beer style. If people want to drink it, though, I'm fine with that. I don't actually have a problem with NEIPA as such. Other people do.
Then your boss would have been incredibly short-sighted and would be kicking himself in the pants over not brewing a new style which started a revolution, created 1000s of jobs and made millions of dollars. And tastes delicious.

Then your boss would have been incredibly short-sighted and would be kicking himself in the pants over not brewing a new style which started a revolution, created 1000s of jobs and made millions of dollars. And tastes delicious.
Compared to what real beer is worth, globally, something like a few hundred billion dollars, iirc, the incy-wincy NEIPA market is very 'niche'. More in line with a barly-based hop cocktail, I'd guess.

BUT I think it must be true that there are many young people out there who are delaying developing a taste for beers with a more adult taste, because they're drinking very sweet beers that let them put off acquiring the tastes beer drinkers have developed for centuries. It seems to me there must be a lot of kids out there who need to take off the training wheels and see what other styles there are.

That was mean... 😂

I don't like sours either and I really don't want to brew any because a) I'd probably screw it up and b) I'd probably cross-contaminate other brews and wind up with nothing but sours. But my daughter loves them and is getting kind of pissed that I haven't brewed one for her yet. It's a real dilemma.

beer isn't supposed to be like Bud or Miller and take the flames for it, because I sincerely believe those products are made for people who dislike beer, deliberately using inferior ingredients
Compared to what real beer is worth, globally, something like a few hundred billion dollars, iirc, the incy-wincy NEIPA market is very 'niche'.
Compared to what "real beer" is worth globally, craft beer is very niche. The global beer market is dominated by "products... made for people who dislike beer."

Compared to what real beer is worth, globally, something like a few hundred billion dollars, iirc, the incy-wincy NEIPA market is very 'niche'. More in line with a barly-based hop cocktail, I'd guess.

You've been talking through your hat a lot in this thread and couldn't back up half of your noise with facts or statistics.
Indeed, you clearly have zero clue of what's going on in the USA wrt beer consumption...

I don't like sours either and I really don't want to brew any because a) I'd probably screw it up and b) I'd probably cross-contaminate other brews and wind up with nothing but sours. But my daughter loves them and is getting kind of pissed that I haven't brewed one for her yet. It's a real dilemma.

Add Acids. I thought of it and search in internet if it's a real thing.

Go for Quick (and cheat) souring

Now, this is the guy for sour and funky stuff.

Themadfermentationist

I would brew a saison, mash low, ferment high, late additions of CTZ. And add acid at bottling (or kegging)

Last edited:
You've been talking through your hat a lot in this thread and couldn't back up half of your noise with facts or statistics.
Indeed, you clearly have zero clue of what's going on in the USA wrt beer consumption...
I could easily argue the same about your view of beer globally, but I won't. It doesn't change the fact NEIPA doesn't look or taste like beer. Anyone can see and taste that. It's not just me. You need statistics for that?

Am I going to have to separate you two?

I could easily argue the same about your view of beer globally, but I won't. It doesn't change the fact NEIPA doesn't look or taste like beer. Anyone can see and taste that. It's not just me. You need statistics for that?

Back