Neomexicanus NEIPA - Hop Bill Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
Brewing a NEIPA this weekend. The recipe is my base recipe for this style, but i'm having trouble with the hop bill. I currently have 1/2 lb. of Sabra, Medusa, and Zappa neomexicanus hops. I also have 1/2 lb. of Citra and Azacca. Typically, my NEIPA consists of Galaxy, Citra, and Azacca, but they were out of Galaxy so i figured i'd try the new hops on the block.
What would be your suggestion with working with these Neomexicanus hops? I've never used them before so i'm unsure of how they are perceived. I've done some reading up and Sabra appears to be a homerun type hop, with it's high alpha acid content, but medusa and zappa are lower AA's and i get mixed reviews from them. My current hop bill for the NEIPA is as follows:

Note: I have a general rule of no more than 3 types of hops in an NEIPA to avoid muddling of flavors, however i wanted to incorporate all of the neomexicanus hops in the beer, but also include a reliable hop for the backbone (citra). Also, i'm thinking of omitting the zappa and upping the citra. Got the feeling the zappa would get lost here. I'm also open to the idea of adding Azacca and reducing the other amounts.
I also try to keep the total hop bill below 1 lb., and am experimenting on what the sweet spot generally is on oz/addition. I'm also open for suggestions for keg hopping, but i've tried that before and didn't find it added anything.

Hops are in ounces

Total Hops = 14.5 oz.

Whirlpool Hops @ 170 (4.5 total oz)
Sabra - 1.75
Citra - 1.25
Medusa - 1
Zappa - .5

Biotransformation hops @ 2/3 days into fermentation (4.25 oz)
Sabra - 1.5
Citra - 1.25
Medusa - 1
Zappa - .5

Dry Hops - Post fermentation for 3-4 days (5.75 oz)
Sabra - 2
Citra - 1.75
Medusa - 1.5
Zappa - .5

Back