Nelson Sauv "SMaSH" (almost)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
10# maris otter
2# munich 10

.5oz Chinook @ 60
.5oz NS @ 15
1oz NS @ 10
1.5 NS @ 5

Mash around 153F, ferment with WLP009 Aus Ale.

Really not a fan of this one. Flavor seems almost sour like a lemon with a hint of pee. It's not fully carbed up yet but I can't see this changing much with full bubbles.

I was also expecting this yeast to clear out a lot better but it's still hazey after a few weeks chilled.

10# maris otter
2# munich 10

.5oz Chinook @ 60
.5oz NS @ 15
1oz NS @ 10
1.5 NS @ 5

Mash around 153F, ferment with WLP009 Aus Ale.

Really not a fan of this one. Flavor seems almost sour like a lemon with a hint of pee. It's not fully carbed up yet but I can't see this changing much with full bubbles.

I was also expecting this yeast to clear out a lot better but it's still hazey after a few weeks chilled.

If this behaves like other fruity hops it will get better with bubbles and a week of it. I had a mosaic blonde that was just too dank when uncarbed. But once carbed up it "bloomed".

If I were to do it I'd use Magnum for bittering (Less harsh). Make your 15 min addition your 10 min, make your 10 min addition your flameout addition(followed by whirlpool) and your 5 min addition your dryhop. Nelson Sauvin from what I read has a complex set of aromas and flavors. Less boil time + dry hop would capture those notes better than driving them off with a boil.

I did a single hop NS beer based pretty much on Ed worts Haus pale and it came out tasting like a sauvignon blanc. Tasty but kind of confusing.

This was a trial run to see how NS behaves. I stuck to conventions like 15/10/5 hop schedule, 60min boil, 153F mash, etc. to eliminate variables.

I can see the wine like comparisons. I'm not a big wine drinker so I can't say anything for sure but there's a strange tartness in the beer that I'm thinking is a combination of the "citrus" flavor of this hop combined with some bitterness.

Not sure what kind of complexity in the aroma/flavor could be present. This stuff seems pretty one note. I would want to team it with something else to nudge it along. Maybe brambling cross or citra?

I'm probably going to do another run swapping NS for galaxy. Will likely move the hop schedule back as recommended as well.

btw, this beer is still hazy and refuses to settle out.

I feel like a belgian yeast or saison yeast would work well for this. Something with character.

Back