Second BIAB Black IPA - Some Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNHomebrew

Reaction score
So here is a little bit of background of the recipe and I'll post my questions on the bottom, thanks everyone!
11 lbs – Maris Otter
1 lb –Munich Malt
1lb – Rye Malt
1lb – Flaked Barley
2lbs – Midnight wheat

1oz – Summit (45 min)
1 oz – Columbus (45 min)
1oz – Chinook (10 min)
1oz – Simcoe (5 min)
1oz – Columbus (5min)
1oz – Denali (5min)
1oz – Simcoe (Dry hop 7 days after)

Yeast – Wyeast North west ale (I did a yeast starter as well)
Total water in kettle – 7.25 gallons
Strike water temp – 164F
Grain bill – 16 pounds Grain temp – 53F
Batch Size – 5 gallons
Mash temp – 153F
Boil time – 60 minutes
Kettle size – 15 gallons
Trub - .25 (guess)
Boil off rate – 1.25 gallon/hour (guess)
Grain absorption – 0.045 (guess)
Expected OG = 1.075 Expected
FG = 1.014 Actual
OG = 1.090
Mashed at 155F for 75 min

Questions - 1. My OG came in WAY high and I'm not sure why? I added 1 gallon of water to bring it up to almost 5 gallons and gave it a good shake before pitching my yeast. I'm hoping this will bring down my OG.

2. How/why did I come up so short on my wort amount - probably had 4 gallons and was shooting for 5.

3. My efficiency was 52% I think? That seems terrible and I don't know if I did the calculations for it right. I came in short on my first batch but not this short. I re-milled my grain this time thinking I would get a better % but it didn't turn out so much.

1) Since you ended up with 4 gals of 1.090 beer, that is the same as 5 gals of a 1.070 beer...this is just a volume issue.

2) Hard to say. I generally use BeerSmith to calc my volumes and I have tuned the numbers so I am usually close. I have a simple spreadsheet that I have used, and it says 7.42 gals would yield 5 gals into the fermenter for 16 lbs of grain. I would guess your Grain Absorption might be low and should be bumped up to the 0.08 to 0.1 range (lower numbers require a fine crush and squeezing). 6 oz of hops suck up some water, so your trub loss might be higher.

3) I did not plug your values into BeerSmith, but it seems like you hit the expected gravity, so 52% seems lower than what you actually go. How did you get the 52% number?

1) Since you ended up with 4 gals of 1.090 beer, that is the same as 5 gals of a 1.070 beer...this is just a volume issue.

2) Hard to say. I generally use BeerSmith to calc my volumes and I have tuned the numbers so I am usually close. I have a simple spreadsheet that I have used, and it says 7.42 gals would yield 5 gals into the fermenter for 16 lbs of grain. I would guess your Grain Absorption might be low and should be bumped up to the 0.08 to 0.1 range (lower numbers require a fine crush and squeezing). 6 oz of hops suck up some water, so your trub loss might be higher.

3) I did not plug your values into BeerSmith, but it seems like you hit the expected gravity, so 52% seems lower than what you actually go. How did you get the 52% number?

Thanks for both the replies haha, more sites the better and different answers is how I look at it.

Back