First SMaSH, Feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suckerpunchltd

Reaction score
So looking at doing a SMaSH to add a filler in the brew cycle since the brew after this will be a pretty heavy porter with a good secondary and long conditioning phase, and to also aid in learning more about the base malts and hops for future use. Most recipes I have seen use Maris Otter instead of the 2-row with the Willamette hops, and I can get that if it would be that big of a difference as I'm going grain shopping tomorrow.

Here's, what I have for it:

9lb Pale 2-Row
1lb Pale 2-Row Toasted (will toast myself in oven likely just because)

1oz Willamette 60 mins
.5oz Willamette 20 or 10 mins (unsure on this, I can adjust if need be)

Deciding between Safale S-04 or Nottingham.

Thinking mashing for 60 mins at 154, fly sparge using colander method (worked great my first brew)

Planning 5 gallon, so will target 5.5 gallon into primary so I don't come up short like I did my first time brewing.

Here's what brewer's friend says:

Original Gravity: 1.050 Final Gravity: 1.012 ABV (standard): 5.02% IBU (tinseth): 20.72 SRM (morey): 6.42
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
9 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 90%
1 lb American - Pale 2-Row - Toasted 33 30 10%
10 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Willamette Pellet 4.5 Boil 60 min 17.54
0.5 oz Willamette Pellet 4.5 Boil 10 min 3.18
Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
1.5 oz Willamette Pellet 4.5
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
10 qt Single Infusion Mash Infusion 154 F 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1 qt/lb
Yeast
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Attenuation (avg):
77%
Flocculation:
High
Optimum Temp:
57 - 70 °F
Starter:
No
Fermentation Temp:
-
Pitch Rate:
0.35 (M cells / ml / ° P)
90 B cells required

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's necessary to use marries otter and willamette. I'm sure it's a popular combination though.

The nice thing about the smash brews is you can use them as a tool which is something you mentioned. With that in mind, there's nothing specific you have to use. Just use what ever you want, especially if you find one of the cool new hops.

My two cents on the recipe are a dark roasted malt in there is only technically a smash. After all, it's still barley. I've used the loose definition to do an amarillo "smash" with dextrose and flaked corn. It still only had one malt..From that perspective, anything but rye, wheat, etc will still be a smash. I think Marris Otter is a good choice though as a base because of the flavor. But in it's strictest definition, it should only be a single base malt and a single hop which is what those MO/willamette recipes are.

I wouldn't say it's necessary to use marries otter and willamette. I'm sure it's a popular combination though.

That's kind of what I noticed is it seemed more popular.

My two cents on the recipe are a dark roasted malt in there is only technically a smash. After all, it's still barley. I've used the loose definition to do an amarillo "smash" with dextrose and flaked corn. It still only had one malt..From that perspective, anything but rye, wheat, etc will still be a smash. I think Marris Otter is a good choice though as a base because of the flavor. But in it's strictest definition, it should only be a single base malt and a single hop which is what those MO/willamette recipes are.

Yeah I had seen it mentioned even using a toasted version of the same malt is kind of out of the trueness of a smash definition and I've been mixed on it, but will probably do it just because.

Back