NEIPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt paiva

Reaction score
Lately I have been struggling with trying to nail down a NEIPA recipe. I’m looking for some feedback on this recipe. I took the BYO recipe for Trillium’s sleeper street and tweaked it a bit. I largely made two changes, first to water. I am experimenting with different profiles and slowly tweaking them

I am using tap water (tested by Ward Labs)

The profile is :
Ca- 98
Mg- 13.2
Na- 17
So4- 98.7
Cl- 145.5

The other change I made was to the hopping schedule, I found old tweets (circa 2014) from Trillium giving recommendations for replicating the recipe.

Recipe:

11 lbs
Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)

1 lbs 8.0 oz
Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)

12.0 oz
Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

4.0 oz
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)

Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
44.0 IBUs

-
2.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min, 180.0 F
19.7 IBUs

-
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min, 160.0 F
1.9 IBUs

Dry Hop

5.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

I will be fermenting a little warm at 75F (per Omega recommendation). Ph 5.4

Are there any red flags here? When I’m brewing things seem to go well, hitting numbers etc. but the finished product hasn’t been what I imagined. Help!

What is it about it that you think should be different ? What are you mashing at ? To me it seems high ibu for a NEIPA, but that's my taste . My west coast IPA is between 60 - 70 ibu and my NEIPA is about 30 ibu. So imo if it were me I'd drop the ibu a tad and have more hops in whirlpool and wp at 160. I've done wp at 180 and it seems to bring out more bitterness then aroma and flavor . Is it not juicy enough in your opinion? As for your water I cant say . I've been using Ro water and building water profiles.

I would eliminate the 60 minute hops - bring the IBUs down to 20-30 range. The biggest improvement in NEIPAs for me was eliminating all O2 after pitching - Any dry hops are purged with CO2 and all transfers are done closed.

What is it about it that you think should be different ? What are you mashing at ? To me it seems high ibu for a NEIPA, but that's my taste . My west coast IPA is between 60 - 70 ibu and my NEIPA is about 30 ibu. So imo if it were me I'd drop the ibu a tad and have more hops in whirlpool and wp at 160. I've done wp at 180 and it seems to bring out more bitterness then aroma and flavor . Is it not juicy enough in your opinion? As for your water I cant say . I've been using Ro water and building water profiles.

Most recently the fruit smell was very faint, and overall was not juicy enough. I mashed the BYO recipe at 150, I tweaked that recipe down to 35 IBU. This recipe I followed the recommendations I mentioned I had found on twitter. Trillium suggested bittering early with Columbus targeting 45ibu.

How long would you suggest WP at 160? Same time, or increased?

I plan to mash this iteration of the recipe at 154, hoping to add the residual sweetness.

I would eliminate the 60 minute hops - bring the IBUs down to 20-30 range. The biggest improvement in NEIPAs for me was eliminating all O2 after pitching - Any dry hops are purged with CO2 and all transfers are done closed.

My most recent batch was the first time I was able to do a closed transfer (hooray for Christmas gifts).

I use the fermzilla and purged dry hops with CO2 first. I did have the valve open though and the hops eventually compacted in the collection jar. Do you think this may have prevented the contact time with beer?

Back