NEIPA Body Goals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
We all want that sick body for summer.........so i'm trying to adjust my NEIPA recipes for better body ;)

I've found a NEIPA base recipe that works for me and at this point i just move around the hops for different flavors, but i'm still trying to extract a little bit more body and "fluff" for lack of a better word without resorting to Lactose. I save Lactose for Milkshake IPAs.

Any tips for more body in a NEIPA? I'm mashing around 155, 60 mins, with a grain bill primarily 50/50 2row and golden promise, and then at least 20% flaked oats, or 15%flaked oats 5%flaked wheat. Should i add some carapils in there? All of my hops come post boil in the whirlpool, and then massive dryhop charge at 24hrs into active fermentation and then again 4-5 days before kegging.

Fermenting at 66-68 with either Wyeast London Ale III or Imperial A38 Juice.

Color is spot on, flavors are delicious, and its hazy as hell, but just feels like it could be a little thicker and fuller mouthfeel to round off any bite

You could, but a good carbonation makes the aroma jump out at you instead of having to put your nose 1/4 inch above the beer to smell it. I have a dead on recipe for Bissell Brother's Swish, my absolute favorite NEIPA, and the recipe is 11# of Golden Promise, 2# of flaked wheat and 1.25# of corn sugar. I also have an almost dead on clone (next batch should nail it) for Foundation's Epiphany which calls for 6# Great Western Pale Malt, 6# Maris Otter, 1# of Golden Naked Oats and 1# of corn sugar. Both have a great body, IMO.

We all want that sick body for summer.........so i'm trying to adjust my NEIPA recipes for better body ;)

I've found a NEIPA base recipe that works for me and at this point i just move around the hops for different flavors, but i'm still trying to extract a little bit more body and "fluff" for lack of a better word without resorting to Lactose. I save Lactose for Milkshake IPAs.

Any tips for more body in a NEIPA? I'm mashing around 155, 60 mins, with a grain bill primarily 50/50 2row and golden promise, and then at least 20% flaked oats, or 15%flaked oats 5%flaked wheat. Should i add some carapils in there? All of my hops come post boil in the whirlpool, and then massive dryhop charge at 24hrs into active fermentation and then again 4-5 days before kegging.

Fermenting at 66-68 with either Wyeast London Ale III or Imperial A38 Juice.

Color is spot on, flavors are delicious, and its hazy as hell, but just feels like it could be a little thicker and fuller mouthfeel to round off any bite

How is the chloride / sulfate ratio? The calcium chloride can make a beer taste a little more full and less crisp (in my opinion). If you’ve never done it, dissolve a small pinch of calcium chloride in a small amount of water in a glass and put your beer on top. This would give you an idea what additional calcium chloride would do.

What is your water profile?

In addition to adjusting chloride or calcium other factors in your water profile can affect perception of fullness in the mouthfeel.

I'd go higher on the wheat and lower on the oats. Like 2:1. I also never use carapils in my neipas. Base grain, wheat, oats and sometimes a little honey, but that's not needed.

I'd go higher on the wheat and lower on the oats. Like 2:1. I also never use carapils in my neipas. Base grain, wheat, oats and sometimes a little honey, but that's not needed.

A little honey malt is good sometimes. It adds a little more sweetness to the beer which help pop the hops.

A little honey malt is good sometimes. It adds a little more sweetness to the beer which help pop the hops.
I do like the honey malt, but I'm not sure it works well with all hops. I used it in my last neipa, which was all mosaic, and something funky is going on. Like the mosaic is fighting with the honey. Could be something else entirely, but that's how I feel. I'm going to experiment with mash temps too. I've done 150-156, and I can't tell a huge difference. I want to try to mash higher, maybe 158, to get some residual sweetness.

2 words: water salts.

Having done many a NEIPA's, the sulfate to chloride ratio makes a MASSIVE difference in mouth feel. If you would like to know what and how I do them: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/tomorrowland-a-neipa-experience.658505/

I went into detail about my water additions and how/where I add them. Having that said, I have done alot using MO, GP, and other malts, but I can achieve the same exact flavor and feel using basic pale malt with a touch of honey malt, a little carapils, and either oats or white wheat...but the trick I have found is to build the water properly.

I do like the honey malt, but I'm not sure it works well with all hops. I used it in my last neipa, which was all mosaic, and something funky is going on. Like the mosaic is fighting with the honey. Could be something else entirely, but that's how I feel. I'm going to experiment with mash temps too. I've done 150-156, and I can't tell a huge difference. I want to try to mash higher, maybe 158, to get some residual sweetness.

I don't use it very often myself but it works well in my Julius clone. All 5 oz of it. It really does subtly accentuate the hops in that beer.

2 words: water salts.

Having done many a NEIPA's, the sulfate to chloride ratio makes a MASSIVE difference in mouth feel. If you would like to know what and how I do them: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/tomorrowland-a-neipa-experience.658505/

I went into detail about my water additions and how/where I add them. Having that said, I have done alot using MO, GP, and other malts, but I can achieve the same exact flavor and feel using basic pale malt with a touch of honey malt, a little carapils, and either oats or white wheat...but the trick I have found is to build the water properly.
Based on your additions and Beersmith, you add nearly double what Beersmith suggests. I've also used Brewer's Friend to second check my additions. I run with roughly 110 calcium, 10 sodium, 120 chloride, 10 magnesium, 120 sulfate and 15 bicarbonate in the mash.

0.6 grams salt
0.7 chalk
2 grams epsom
4.3 grams gypsum
6 grams calcium chloride

Am I missing something here?

Based on your additions and Beersmith, you add nearly double what Beersmith suggests. I've also used Brewer's Friend to second check my additions. I run with roughly 110 calcium, 10 sodium, 120 chloride, 10 magnesium, 120 sulfate and 15 bicarbonate in the mash.

0.6 grams salt
0.7 chalk
2 grams epsom
4.3 grams gypsum
6 grams calcium chloride

Am I missing something here?

I do basically the same thing, FWIW. I use the Brun Water spreadsheet to double check and they're both pretty close.

Well, kind of....

1) I dont use chalk, its not soluable enough, so in BS3 when building the water click to "exclude chalk"

2) your going with a 120:120 sulfate to chloride, where as I do a 80:175 sulfate to chloride

in BS, click to the left for ingrediants, then water, then top left "add water" and use :

95ppm calcium
12ppm magnesium
30ppm sodium
80ppm sulfate
175ppm chloride

Once you have that, name it NEIPA or whatever, and then save, then when your building your recipie, click on the water tab, and click to "match target water profile" and scroll down to that NEIPA profile you built, (make sure to check off the exclude chalk button) and then you will see what BS3 suggest.....also I use 100% RO and build from scratch, so if you already have your ward lab report and know what your already at comming out of the tap, then your additions will change some.

as I was suggesting in my original post however, to get a better "silky" mouth feel, lower the sulfate and increase the cacl

Back