Neighbors dog attacked me, then neighbor threatened to beat me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dfc said:
Pit Bulls are actually nowhere close to aggressive naturally.

Agreed, I owned a pit and she never did anything buy hunt critters in the backyard. I would look twice encountering a golden retriever on my walk. I have had two dogs attempt to attack me and both were GR.

just got off the phone with animal control - the guy bought a license for the dog at 6 pm last night - about 15 minutes after it tried to eat me. In PA any dog over 3 months has to be licensed. This dog is 7 years old.

so the dog warden is filling some kind of charges against the guy but said that she will be giving the owner/dog one more chance.

I also asked about the baseball bat/revolver/rebar idea and she told me I can walk down my driveway carrying a samurai sword and it's perfectly legal. She instructed me to carry what ever I felt comfortable with ( which is what I am going to do because at this point the sooner the dog goes away the better)

she also told me that since there is a now a pending charge against this guy - she even got me his name and dob and showed me his criminal record(nothing violent) on the usj portal for PA - that I am a witness and if he bothers me again he will get in even bigger trouble...blah blah blah.

I appreciate that he will be threatening a witness if he comes to my house again but it doesn't do much for my feeling of personal safety.

overall she was very nice, seemed to care about what happened, and was eager to help. I will be testifying about the dog attacking me on three occasions between yesterday and january 1st at some point. but she was clearly under constraint of some kind regarding removing the animal immediately.

guess the system really works!

I hate this crap.

Check with the police about the legality of carrying weapons just to be sure. I wouldn't expect Animal Control officers to know the intricacies of weapons possession, especially since she told you carrying a samurai sword is ok. It very well may be, but I'd check that with the police.

Good luck with everything, hopefully the owners control the dog in the future.

Wheels in motion. Hope everything works out for you.

7 is considered old age for a golden, was it always ill tempered or has it changed recently?

I grew up with a Golden and while he went into every situation looking to be pet and lick hands, if he felt like one of his people were threatened you would see the devil come out of him. They can be rough customers and have a nasty bite. I can see how an abused or ill golden could behave like this, especially since their popularity lead to them being inbred.

My future f-i-l has a neighbor he doesnt know too well that owns a rather huge golden named "Merle." Merle broke his chain and came barrelling into his yard while we were grilling. I would like to think I can tell a friendly dog from an aggressive one by their body language, but really I just got lucky. I took a knee and put my hand out, and got knocked over with what felt like a hundred pound of dog. I got a very wet slobbery face. My point is that goldens often dont know their strength or that their actions can hurt people...

As for Pits I'm the guy who's going to wind up minus an arm some day. 99% of all the pits I have met saunter over slowly, say hello and then saunter elsewhere, so I have no fear. I have been on the receiving end of a vicious pitbull fart though. THATS where pits really are dangerous.

So, this guy came on your property, came to your door and threatened to beat you up? Why wasn't he arrested? That is simple assault here. You would have had the opportunity to press charges and he would have been locked up (if the threat put you in fear for your life or safety) and it was resonable that the threat could be carried out. It is a misdemeanor, but would have taken a ride non the less. That arrest would have been enough for you to get a restraining order.

Pardon me if it has already been covered, I got in on this thread a little late.

I'm from NH and if a dog comes onto my property and bites me he will leave my property with 245 grains of lead in his body or he won't leave at all. If i had kids who were at risk, my opinion would lean much more heavily towards "wont leave at all."

There's a reason that neighbors don't come to doors angrily in Texas. An armed society is a polite society.

Klnosaj is from Berkeley - I'm sure he'd arrange a protest. Folks standing outside the neighbors house chanting "don't bite, it's not right".

We're also an extremely friendly polite people.

Are the two connected? Probably.

I'm a little confused. So a dog bit your sweatshirt, and you punched it repeatedly and want to have it put down? Did you talk to the owner? Having problems with neighbors is something most people experience at some point, but most of them can be worked out before the authorities have to be called. Whether the guy's mother was a moron or not, it doesn't sound like you handled things very well.

just got off the phone with animal control - the guy bought a license for the dog at 6 pm last night - about 15 minutes after it tried to eat me. In PA any dog over 3 months has to be licensed. This dog is 7 years old.

so the dog warden is filling some kind of charges against the guy but said that she will be giving the owner/dog one more chance.

I also asked about the baseball bat/revolver/rebar idea and she told me I can walk down my driveway carrying a samurai sword and it's perfectly legal. She instructed me to carry what ever I felt comfortable with ( which is what I am going to do because at this point the sooner the dog goes away the better)

she also told me that since there is a now a pending charge against this guy - she even got me his name and dob and showed me his criminal record(nothing violent) on the usj portal for PA - that I am a witness and if he bothers me again he will get in even bigger trouble...blah blah blah.

I appreciate that he will be threatening a witness if he comes to my house again but it doesn't do much for my feeling of personal safety.

overall she was very nice, seemed to care about what happened, and was eager to help. I will be testifying about the dog attacking me on three occasions between yesterday and january 1st at some point. but she was clearly under constraint of some kind regarding removing the animal immediately.

guess the system really works!

I hate this crap.

At least that's progress. Have you spoken to any of the other neighbors to see if other people have had issues with the dog?

It's very sad to me to see what happens to dogs with bad owners. Humans are awful creatures sometimes.

My girlfriend has an English black lab who is as sweet a pup as can be (named appropriately "Ethernopian", bet you can guess why). He was a rescue dog that was obviously abused as he's very skittish, especially towards most men. Any sudden movement, loud noise will startle him (I think he recognizes the sound of a gun cocking on TV as he jumps when he hears such noise).

I understand your need to protect yourself and your family, runningweird, but do try to take the path of non-violence towards the dog if you can help it. It's likely not the dog's fault, as I'm sure you already understand. If there's any chance the dog could be put through rehab, that would be better than death.

//My bleeding-heart is confined to dogs only.

My future f-i-l has a neighbor he doesnt know too well that owns a rather huge golden named "Merle." Merle broke his chain and came barrelling into his yard while we were grilling. I would like to think I can tell a friendly dog from an aggressive one by their body language, but really I just got lucky. I took a knee and put my hand out, and got knocked over with what felt like a hundred pound of dog. I got a very wet slobbery face. My point is that goldens often dont know their strength or that their actions can hurt people...

As for Pits I'm the guy who's going to wind up minus an arm some day. 99% of all the pits I have met saunter over slowly, say hello and then saunter elsewhere, so I have no fear. I have been on the receiving end of a vicious pitbull fart though. THATS where pits really are dangerous.

I am in the same boat...When I see a dog running at me I just knee down and get ready to say hello. I can't really help it, just my reaction. I never really contemplate them attacking me, even after I had one nip me once.

And to anyone saying Pitbulls aren't aggresive naturally...I beg to differ. They are aggresive, but with the proper training and environment can be just as sweet as any other dog. My best friend has 2 and they are the biggest babies I've ever met.

I read most of the 4 pages of replies here, I haven't seen one of the simplest solutions to the dog, it's called a dog dazer, find it on amazon for 25 bucks, you can use that. It emits a high pitch sound that dogs don't like and will keep them away. I'm glad you're going about things right with the neighbor, hope he leaves you alone but as long they have the dog, get a dazer it should help.

I get your point, and sterotypes frequently do not properly describe the person, but based on what you've posted in other sections of the forum, you have to admit you do in fact fit the stereotype many people associate with your location.

You dont sound like you had much fun with the game, in fact you sound pretty annoyed. I think folks just like you enough to tease you...

good idea with the dazer, but I feel that might be a half measure. Outfitting all my kids with them would be challenging. Far easier to have the authorities deal with the animal or deal with it in a more final manner the next time something happens.

At this point I realize I should have called animal control the first time rather than given the dog another chance to bite me, or give it another chance to bite me so it could be taken away.

runningweird said:
thanks guys - getting myself calmed down after all this crap is my biggest problem i think.

It may be worth having someone take a look at your back to see if someone taped an "Attack Me" sign on you as a prank.

I think I have on of those giant antique bibles, the thirty pound ones with a thick leather cover and metal clasps. Perhaps I could beat religion into the animal.

runningweird said:
I think I have on of those giant antique bibles, the thirty pound ones with a thick leather cover and metal clasps. Perhaps I could beat religion into the animal.

The power Christ compels you *****

See what I did there

A few years ago living out in the country, I was charged by 2 Pitbulls. The dogs belonged to a farmer about a mile away and somehow got out of their pen. Now I always owned large dogs and at the time I had 2 Rotties so I never felt threatened by any large dog before. I initially saw the smaller one sniffing near where my dogs used to go to the bathroom and I went out to scare it off so that I could take my own dogs out. At the same time I was attempting to scare off the 1st dog, the second one came out of nowhere and charged me snarling with teeth out. I'm usually armed with a handgun however instead of shooting one of the distant neighbor's dogs, I picked up a snow shovel I had laying there and smacked the 2nd dog upside the head as it attempted to jump to bite me. I never felt that I needed to use deadly force and both dogs took off after getting b### slapped upside the head with a snow shovel. I actually thought about pulling my .45 and shooting the dog, however that would have been at last resort. Believe it or not, I actually thought about the consequences of that prior to pulling the weapon. Dealing with PD, pissed off neighbors and so forth. The snowshovel worked well and gave me distance between myself and the dogs and I also understood that the 2nd dog being larger and older, it became protective of the smaller 1st dog that I was trying to scare off which is why it most likely charged me.

Point of the story.....use common sense. As far as the neighbors verbally threatening you, well that's another story. There are many ways to handle that as well.

beerloaf

I use to be that way with dogs. Take a knee and with to pet it. But after responding to a couple of nasty dog bites I now step in-between the dog and my kids and will take a bit long before they do.

And to anyone saying Pitbulls aren't aggresive naturally...I beg to differ. They are aggresive, but with the proper training and environment can be just as sweet as any other dog. My best friend has 2 and they are the biggest babies I've ever met.

Beg to differ all you want. And then provide facts to support your statement please.

All you did was provide a single anecdote that in fact refutes your argument. Were those two pits aggressive when your friend got them and then had that trained out of them? I doubt it. Pits are far less aggressive then your average Golden Retriever as well as most small dogs ( I will post a study proving this later ).

I'll give you an even better pitbull anecdote. I took mine off the street, personally, in a pretty bad Brooklyn neighborhood. Walked right up to me and hasn't left my side since. No formal training, just what little I know about the subject and a bunch of love and proper treatment. He's the biggest wimp dog I've ever had.

Somewhere in a dog thread here there's a picture of me and him the night I got him.

The best way to stop an angry dog is to throw bunny rabbits at it. They are easily distracted by an easier prey.

Just a word of advice, after being in law enforcement for over 13 years, OC or pepper spray doesn't work on dogs. Sometimes the hissing sound of the propellant scares them, but I have personally seen several dogs completely unphased by the spray. A Taser or Glock on the other hand is a different story, but I digress. Your best bet and what I would do is first find out if the home they live in is a rental or if they own it. If they rent sometimes a very sternly written letter from yourself or your attorney to the owner of the home will often solve problems with their tenants. You should be able to pull up the homeowners info on your local property appraisers website. If they are the owners it is a little more difficult. Being that the guy may have a record I would cross reference the last name of the owner from the property appraisers site with the of the local arrest database for either the county sheriff or state police. Usually there is a jail website which is public record and you could find if the guy in fact has a record. If you find the guys name and info check the clerk of courts website and see if hes on probation. Most guys don't want to violate probation. Last but not least the old saying about the squeaky wheel getting the grease is true. Document everytime there is a problem with the neighbors or the dog and report it. Eventually an injunction may be necessary and you will want all the documentation to show a judge. Unfortunately this ain't the old days where you could beat the piss out of the guy and that be that (thanks lawyers!) so protect yourself not only physically, but from a legal sense.

Hope it helps.

+1 on pepper spray not doing much to dogs. People can also fight through it and it should only be considered a distraction device, not something that incapacitates. Tasers work fairly well but both probes need solid contact with skin at least 10 inches apart to drop a person. 230 grain hyda-shoks stop both quite well.

Beg to differ all you want. And then provide facts to support your statement please.

All you did was provide a single anecdote that in fact refutes your argument. Were those two pits aggressive when your friend got them and then had that trained out of them? I doubt it. Pits are far less aggressive then your average Golden Retriever as well as most small dogs ( I will post a study proving this later ).

http://www.pitbulls.org/article/are-pit-bulls-dangerous

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/pit_bull_resources.html

http://www.dontbullymybreed.org/

To be honest, this isn't fair. For every article that I come up with, you can find just as many saying exactly the opposite. The humane society article states that they were once considered nanny dogs because of their mild temperament. But when it comes down to it, any dog can be aggressive. I've found that small terriers are the worst. But their bites never really broke my skin and when I did get bit, I would kick the dog away from me and that would be the end of the issue.

In my experiences, pit bulls (American staffordshire terrier) are just big babies. If your experiences dictate otherwise, I urge you to reconsider your opinion and please give these dogs another chance. I'd bet your open mindedness would end up well rewarded

The poor dog must have been treated very badly by its owners.
Too bad there isn't some way to get it to trust you. Maybe carry a nice steak to toss at it on your way to the mailbox :) It's scary to think what could happen to your kids, though.
The laws where you live must be very different from my area. I'm pretty sure that a single bite could get the dog taken away from the owner around here.

I know we are getting off topic but I love pitbulls. My son has been playing and cuddling with ours since he was a tiny newborn. Only training we had with her was show her lots of love and play with her. She is not aggressive towards people but is very defensive of us and him. She would give her life to defend us without thinking twice. I have had several. They are my favorite dog in the world. Side note...many pitbulls can do weird things like ride skateboards and climb trees (mine can skateboard)

By brother-in-laws ex girlfriend had one, and we used to take it swimming with us in a pond near home.
Dog used to swim and would never come close to land. He loved to swim and even dive under water to try to grab trout swimming around us. Only problem with us taking him swimming was getting him out of the water to go home.

No problem taking out a threatening dog. Dog people are the worst. Control your dog or I'll do it for you. No second chances. People rank higher than dogs, period.

No problem taking out a threatening dog. Dog people are the worst. Control your dog or I'll do it for you. No second chances. People rank higher than dogs, period.

This has always been my thought. I don't value any animal life higher than any human life. I don't have kids, but if I did, and they were threatened by a dog, that dog would not be alive anymore. No matter what it took or the consequences of my actions.

Shoot, I'd put my own dog down if she was a risk to someone else, especially a kid. I currently have a mini schnauzer, so that's not likely to happen, but I would if need be.

http://www.pitbulls.org/article/are-pit-bulls-dangerous

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/pit_bull_resources.html

http://www.dontbullymybreed.org/

To be honest, this isn't fair. For every article that I come up with, you can find just as many saying exactly the opposite. The humane society article states that they were once considered nanny dogs because of their mild temperament. But when it comes down to it, any dog can be aggressive. I've found that small terriers are the worst. But their bites never really broke my skin and when I did get bit, I would kick the dog away from me and that would be the end of the issue.

In my experiences, pit bulls (American staffordshire terrier) are just big babies. If your experiences dictate otherwise, I urge you to reconsider your opinion and please give these dogs another chance. I'd bet your open mindedness would end up well rewarded

In the first link that you provided they link to the ATTS American Temperament Test Society which is the study I was looking for. I take their study over pretty much everything else as it is based upon unprejudiced experiment as compared to anecdotal evidence.

Was this part necessary? Try to control my dog, and I'll show you just how bad dog people can really be. ;)

Would I take out a dog that threatened my kids or myself? Of course. Would I potshot someone just because they choose to own a particular pet (or for any other decision they make)? Never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back