Neighbors All Drink Bud Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdautry

Reaction score
I want to make some beer for the neighbors, problem is that they only drink light adjunct beers. I have searched and thought I would find lots but nope.

Let me hear your suggestions for a home brew to transition my neighbors from tasteless light beer to good beer. Looking for Ale or room temp lager ferments.

Thanks All!

Michael

I have friends like that and they do not " understand " craft beer. Commercial lager/pilsner types of beer, they enjoy and associate the smell, taste and aroma with " beer ".

I would think a light pale ale or a session ale, 4-4.5% ABV, 20-25 IBUs, a clean yeast like the Chico strain and less hops than you usually use. No extreme citrus/flowery/tropical fruit aromas and flavours, but maybe use something like Willamette/Crystal/Saaz/Saphir for hops.

Or maybe a light, refreshing english bitter with some english hops, which are more subdued in comparison with the american ones. That would work.

A small blonde around 4%. all and 14 IBU this will get their. attention. but. it still might not change the minds of the close minded.:mug: I would skip any hop additions after 30 minutes or just use a 60 minute addition.

My Bud drinking neighbor loves my ale. Simple recipe... swap the yeast for US05 and it would be even milder.

11 gallon batch

16 pounds Golden promise
3 1/2 pounds Victory
.75 pounds UK extra dark crystal(160L)

Mash at 153 for 60 min

2oz Perle 60 min
2 oz Hallertau 5 min

Nottingham Ale Yeast, I try to ferment around 62F but last batch was done warm(72f) and came out fine. This is often ready to bottle at 7-10 days depending on ferment temps.

You can try, of course. But after they finish your Blonde Ale or whatever transition craft beer you brew, they'll say: "Nice, can I have a Bud Light now?" :tank:

Exactly.... when we, especially when we're newly converted to something, come in like evangelists, thinking we have to "convert the masses" to whatever it is we're into, we just come off sounding like *****es.

And it gives the hobby and beer geeks a bad name, because instead of being geeks we end up coming off as beersnobs.

Hell, Anthony Bourdain has been calling out those kind of people, and pissing off... But you know, he's right.... when we cop a superiorthanthou attitude we look like jerks.

Anthony Bourdain on Beer Snobs, Bad Food Trends, and 'Road House'

Don't be one of THOSE new beer zealots.

If you want to make something... make something because you CARE ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBORS.... because you're being a good friend. Making something THEY ENJOY....

Not because you think you're better than them... not because you're judging their beer choices. Guess what, they're not dumb, ignorant, stupid, sheeple or whatever deep down you unconsciously think they are because they like mass market beer (And if you think deep down you aren't looking down at their beer choices... believe me, the fact that you CARE what brand or type they're drinking, and that you used words like "problem" and "tasteless" means that you ARE) Make something because you think they will truly enjoy it.

And be prepared when that's kicked that they run out for a case of Bud Light... because to THEM beer is beer.... just something they enjoy without giving much thought about... not a passion or obsession like it is for us- they might have a passion for something else that makes no sense to us... that's human nature.

I hate to break it to you... craft beer has been easily available for 30 years now... and especially for the last decade.... I'm sure they've passed it by on their way to get the beer THEY LIKE... AND they've probably tried a few and STILL decided this is their tipple of choice... That's what they want, that's what they've CHOSEN to drink.

So what? It's beer.....

Don't be the great white savior of your neighborhood just because you've discovered something cool... Do it because you like your neighbors and what to share a part of yourself with them... NOT because you want to "save" them.

We see this all the time with new homebrewers.... "I must go save them....."

Now if you want a beer that they will probably ENJOY... Cream of the Three Crops Ale is one that many folks brew for BMC drinkers, especially for parties or weddings where it won't be just beer geeks, but normal people too, and they want them to have a good time too.

:mug:

Three things:
-Take your "give a f**k" put it in the closet, and leave it there.
(Why do you care what they drink or don't drink)
-Make beer that YOU like.
If they see you enjoying it, maybe they'll try some
-If they don't like it, refer to step #1
Ok rant over, my G/F likes light tasteless beer, but recently she also liked a Maibock I made. I'm not sure if I made it right but it was slightly malty with a somewhat sweet aftertaste that made you want to take another sip. The same beer was also well received at a party populated with 50% craft beer snobs and 50% Coors light drinkers.

+1 to everything Revvy said. I was going to recommend a cream ale, or a basic german pilsner or helles. It will be the right color at the very least, and not hoppy. Those are the 2 things that usually scare non-craft beer drinkers: hops and "dark beer"

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWBV7yKWhWE[/ame]

Don't behave like anyone in this video... ever (also one of the funniest video's I've ever seen). And I really hope you're not taking this as bashing you or anything, I'm sure you have good intentions and I generally agree that BMC is crap beer. We are just trying to make sure you don't come off the wrong way to them.

I'm a huge proponent of people drinking what they like. I try to remind myself that I don't like eggs-- it doesn't matter how they're cooked, I just can't stand eating them. If for some reason artisanal omelettes became a national fad and everyone was trying to get me to try their eggs, I'd get annoyed. :D

However, I can relate to the original poster's dilemma. I moved into a neighborhood with nothing but Bud Light drinkers. My intention wasn't to win them over, but if I wanted to share my beer, I should try to make something along the lines of what they liked. For the block party that first year I made a Munich Helles which went over really well. They finished the keg that afternoon. But when I tried to make recommendations that they try buying something like Spaten, I was told, "Why? It would probably taste the same as Bud to me, and I can get 30 cans of that pretty cheap." I realized most people drink beer, they don't "taste" beer. It isn't a hobby for everyone. For most people it's a drink that gets them buzzed, and that's it.

Side note: A couple people moved into the neighborhood in the past couple years who are huge beer geeks. Neither of them brew, but really like the stuff I make. I recently traded them each some of my NEIPA for cans of Bissell Brothers and Treehouse. Pretty much ideal situation now.:ban:

My neighbor across the street offered me some of the hops that were growing on his property before he moved in there. In exchange, I offered him some homebrew. He said, "No thanks. All beers give me headaches, except Stella."

My neighbor across the street offered me some of the hops that were growing on his property before he moved in there. In exchange, I offered him some homebrew. He said, "No thanks. All beers give me headaches, except Stella."

Did you explain hangovers to him?

Of course you don't get one when you drink water :D

It's pretty easy to brew something a bud light drinker will consume. The thing is, the best you can generally hope for is for them to like what you brew as much as they like bud light. They drink bud light in the first place because they aren't adventurous in their selection of beers. They take it like you take medicine. They get it inside them quickly, then it has a certain effect. That's all they want.

Exactly.... when we, especially when we're newly converted to something, come in like evangelists, thinking we have to "convert the masses" to whatever it is we're into, we just come off sounding like *****es.

And it gives the hobby and beer geeks a bad name, because instead of being geeks we end up coming off as beersnobs.

Hell, Anthony Bourdain has been calling out those kind of people, and pissing off... But you know, he's right.... when we cop a superiorthanthou attitude we look like jerks.

Anthony Bourdain on Beer Snobs, Bad Food Trends, and 'Road House'

Don't be one of THOSE new beer zealots.

If you want to make something... make something because you CARE ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBORS.... because you're being a good friend. Making something THEY ENJOY....

Not because you think you're better than them... not because you're judging their beer choices. Guess what, they're not dumb, ignorant, stupid, sheeple or whatever deep down you unconsciously think they are because they like mass market beer (And if you think deep down you aren't looking down at their beer choices... believe me, the fact that you CARE what brand or type they're drinking, and that you used words like "problem" and "tasteless" means that you ARE) Make something because you think they will truly enjoy it.

And be prepared when that's kicked that they run out for a case of Bud Light... because to THEM beer is beer.... just something they enjoy without giving much thought about... not a passion or obsession like it is for us- they might have a passion for something else that makes no sense to us... that's human nature.

I hate to break it to you... craft beer has been easily available for 30 years now... and especially for the last decade.... I'm sure they've passed it by on their way to get the beer THEY LIKE... AND they've probably tried a few and STILL decided this is their tipple of choice... That's what they want, that's what they've CHOSEN to drink.

So what? It's beer.....

Don't be the great white savior of your neighborhood just because you've discovered something cool... Do it because you like your neighbors and what to share a part of yourself with them... NOT because you want to "save" them.

We see this all the time with new homebrewers.... "I must go save them....."

Now if you want a beer that they will probably ENJOY... Cream of the Three Crops Ale is one that many folks brew for BMC drinkers, especially for parties or weddings where it won't be just beer geeks, but normal people too, and they want them to have a good time too.

:mug:

Not that I disagree with your premise Revvy, but I just spent 15 minutes of my life reading the most hypocritical article of all time. Bourdain goes on a tangent about his whole meditative process behind enjoying a meal at a restaurant, appreciating chefs and struggling cooks, praising the positive direction the restaurant industry has moved in, only to unapologetically bash the craft beer industry and anyone who may have a similar passion for beer like he does food. I agree don't be a beer snob, but I think the big thing to grab is don't be an *******. I can appreciate good food, but I am not going to go in a week long depression over an airport burger, and then turn around and criticize people for being enthusiastic about craft beer by trying to expand their horizon by taking notes on a flight of beer at a microbrewery in San Francisco. He should take a page out of his own book. Some people aren't into food like him just like some people aren't into beer like us. Respect it and don't condescend it.

Not that I disagree with your premise Revvy, but I just spent 15 minutes of my life reading the most hypocritical article of all time. Bourdain goes on a tangent about his whole meditative process behind enjoying a meal at a restaurant, appreciating chefs and struggling cooks, praising the positive direction the restaurant industry has moved in, only to unapologetically bash the craft beer industry and anyone who may have a similar passion for beer like he does food. I agree don't be a beer snob, but I think the big thing to grab is don't be an *******. I can appreciate good food, but I am not going to go in a week long depression over an airport burger, and then turn around and criticize people for being enthusiastic about craft beer by trying to expand their horizon by taking notes on a flight of beer at a microbrewery in San Francisco. He should take a page out of his own book. Some people aren't into food like him just like some people aren't into beer like us. Respect it and don't condescend it.
I mean, that's sort of true, and he's a little condescending about beer people, but he's not exactly *going after* them. More just saying that *he* doesn't care that much. He pokes some fun at discerning beer tasters, but I don't think he's necessarily *bashing* them...

"But I think they somehow expect me to have better taste in beer than whatever generic green bottle I happen to be grabbing. And they see that I'm passionate about food, why am I not passionate about beer? I just ain't. I'm just not."

I grew up drinking adjunct lagers. I still drink them, but I call them cream Ale's or just lagers. With that said, if I want to brew a crowd favorite, I brew a IPA. IMHO light beers are the hardest to brew and show any mistakes in the brewing or fermenting process.

I just brew what I like anymore. People who enjoy craft beers always like what I do but my box drinking friends like what they like. I figure with all they craft beers on the market today they would have already tried good beer if they were going to. But if you want like already said make something fizzy and yellow. Wheat beer is a good choice.

I agree with the certain sentiment that Bourdain has about how people "enjoy" beers. I don't bring a ****ing pen and pad to the bar to take tasting notes. I don't order flights. I don't review beers online. I don't use an app to keep track of which beers I've tried and hate and which I loved. I just don't take beer that seriously because doing so would be work to me. Also, I've drank enough beer to know which styles I prefer and which I am bound to hate. In that same realm, I understand and don't criticize people who like cheap beer. Firstly, why should I care what they like? Secondly, why is one persons taste inherently inferior to what I enjoy? Taste is 100% subjective. If you want to brew a beer a macro beer drinker enjoys then brew a yellow fizzy lager that's light on hops and fairly low in alcohol content. I recommend the "mexican cerveza" receipe that's in the recipes forum. It tastes exactly like what a macro is and should be. I like keeping yellow fizzy lawnmower beers on tap this time of year anyway.

I agree with the certain sentiment that Bourdain has about how people "enjoy" beers. I don't bring a ****ing pen and pad to the bar to take tasting notes. I don't order flights. I don't review beers online. I don't use an app to keep track of which beers I've tried and hate and which I loved. I just don't take beer that seriously because doing so would be work to me. Also, I've drank enough beer to know which styles I prefer and which I am bound to hate. In that same realm, I understand and don't criticize people who like cheap beer. Firstly, why should I care what they like? Secondly, why is one persons taste inherently inferior to what I enjoy? Taste is 100% subjective. If you want to brew a beer a macro beer drinker enjoys then brew a yellow fizzy lager that's light on hops and fairly low in alcohol content. I recommend the "mexican cerveza" receipe that's in the recipes forum. It tastes exactly like what a macro is and should be. I like keeping yellow fizzy lawnmower beers on tap this time of year anyway.
I order flights at breweries, if I think I'm not going to make it back there again. I want to try them all, and I'm not about to pound my way through 12 regular-sized pours. I don't do that at bars, though.

Just buy some BMC bottles. Remove the labels and write something catchy on the bottles. They never know the difference. Just tell them it's craft or homebrewers beer. Maybe you can trick them in to drinking craft.

I order flights at breweries, if I think I'm not going to make it back there again. I want to try them all, and I'm not about to pound my way through 12 regular-sized pours. I don't do that at bars, though.

I do too, but mostly because I have Beer ADD and I would rather drink 6 four ounce pours, than drink 2 pints. I love tasting different beers.

All my neighbors drink free beer!

I've taken black IPA, blonde ales and everything in between and always come home empty.

I do believe this is close to a universal truth about neighbors in general. I don't know how much converting to craft beer happens, but free beer is usually good beer to most people.

All my neighbors drink free beer!

I've taken black IPA, blonde ales and everything in between and always come home empty.

That's the answer. Brew something you like, but out of respect for their tastes make it one of the lighter styles you like. Kolsch, cream ale, blonde ale, etc.

See if you can make something "like Schlitz used to taste in the 60's", they'll like that. (don't use much adjuncts, increase the hops a little) And it will be easier than trying to make Bud Light.

Or just buy them a case of Michelob (I prefer plain Michelob, not MGD) and drink a couple with them. It's actually pretty good on a hot day...

My "gateway beer" was this one: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1103/3409/. It changed me. I suggest something like that with nice malt character, and around 6% ABV.

FWIW, straight from the bottle, craft beer only tastes "different" to the untrained palate. It will seem more bitter, and they will only perceive floral hops when/if they burp. If you want to fast track someone, you need to expose them to aroma, and take a moment to teach them.
Pour beers into pint glasses. Their Pisswässer will smell like practically nothing, so it will taste exactly as flavorless as it does when drank straight from the can. After being able smell a quality ale, their taste buds will explode from the complex character.

Have them finish the whole pale ale, then have them taste their Pisswässer again. See what they have to say. Soon, the higher, clean alcohol content will hug them in the most beautiful way, and they will admire the beverage that much more. If they're converted, introduce them to IPAs and/or stouts a couple weeks later.

If they still don't get it, more power to 'em. They'll save some money at the convenience store for the rest of their lives. In my experience, my Pisswässer-drinking friends love my beer, and I only make heavy beers - black IPA's, hoppy ambers, etc. One of them offered to pay me to bring a keg of it on a camping trip. You can't make them drink more expensive beer when you're not around, though. If they don't want to spend the money, or they don't really care about flavor, it shouldn't matter to you. You do you, boo. We brew because we are literally obsessed. It isn't realistic to believe everyone shares this obsession. We're like professional photographers trying to tell college chicks to stop taking selfies with their phones. Not gonna happen, duder. They're gonna keep snapping away while we're whining, "B- but, the lighting!! The lenses!!!" They don't give a $#!t. If they're just trying to pack on a buzz, the flavor of their poison may prove impossible to even get on their radar. That's okay. If you can convert them, cool. If not, doesn't matter. There's room for us all.

Wow, guys.... some good **** here... Okay, thanks for the reality check, I did sound condescending which is gross.

I really just want to make them some good beer but I don't want it to be a burden for them or for them to feel forced to drink it because I made it. So, I guess my question would be more accurately which beer styles will a BMC drinker naturally enjoy. I got some great advice and continued my research today while at work.

I was leaning towards a Helle or an easy Session Ale.

I decided upon:

The Ale to the Chief, White House Honey Ale

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2012/09/01/ale-chief-white-house-beer-recipe

They have a Honey Porter which I made before for neighbors and even the republicans loved it!

Thanks guys,

Tons of great stuff and ideas in here [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻

For me my brewing time is limited so I brew a select few styles I want. If I have someone coming over that loves Miller lite, then I am buying Miller lite, the same way I would buy different wine for guests who have different preferences. I typically say, I have this on tap and I bought these beers, what would you prefer.

Sometimes you hear I want a beer that tastes like beer, and you hand them a Miller lite or bud light and move on. To each their own. I'm at times a picky eater so I don't need people giving me **** because I'm in the mood for a standard burger instead of a burger stuffed with rare Australian mushrooms.

A small blonde around 4%. all and 14 IBU this will get their. attention. but. it still might not change the minds of the close minded.:mug: I would skip any hop additions after 30 minutes or just use a 60 minute addition.

The Centennial Blonde thread is a good place to start.
That recipe was partial inspiration for my mildy hoppier California blonde recipe with Cascade, Citra, and a bit of Vienna thrown in.

Yep, I use to be like your neighbors. Now, I feel sorry for them....they like beer that tastes like Alka-Seltzer and makes them pee a lot. I agree, time for new friends :mug:

No, no ... just time for different beer.
If the friends are incapable of honestly recognizing a better quality beer and react snidely, THEN it's time to find new friends.
Taste perception is different in many people. There are times for fizzy light beers as well as the more malty and hoppy ones. That particular fact dawned on me when food was mixed with drink depending on season. Tastes will change with the weather, so I'm told.

Back