Neglected my plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelBD

Siamese Brewer
Reaction score
So I used my plate chiller (Therminator) on a brew 2 weeks ago and complete forgot to clean it, didn't even flush it with water after pumping the hot wort through it. It's been laying on my balcony for the whole time and I'm terrified the insides of it might be filled with nasty stuff so I was wondering if you guys have a tried and true way to clean it thoroughly.

I was thinking of the following steps.
1. flush/blast the chiller both ways with a water hose to clear out all the gunk.
2. pump hot oxiclean solution through the chiller, stop, and let it sit for 5-10mins
3. flush/pump boiling water both ways into the chiller
4. before using the chiller, boil for 1hr.

You think this will do the job? I'm a bit concerned if the oxiclean is going to ruin the chiller, but will 5-10mins matter?

So I used my plate chiller (Therminator) on a brew 2 weeks ago and complete forgot to clean it, didn't even flush it with water after pumping the hot wort through it. It's been laying on my balcony for the whole time and I'm terrified the insides of it might be filled with nasty stuff so I was wondering if you guys have a tried and true way to clean it thoroughly.

I was thinking of the following steps.
1. flush/blast the chiller both ways with a water hose to clear out all the gunk.
2. pump hot oxiclean solution through the chiller, stop, and let it sit for 5-10mins
3. flush/pump boiling water both ways into the chiller
4. before using the chiller, boil for 1hr.

You think this will do the job? I'm a bit concerned if the oxiclean is going to ruin the chiller, but will 5-10mins matter?
I think this and good water pressure to flush it as well as leaving it in a hot tub of starsan solution for a few hours should do the trick...if your still worried try the oven at 400 degrees trick many use.

I'm a bit concerned if the oxiclean is going to ruin the chiller, but will 5-10mins matter?

Oxiclean is fine to use. It will not do any damage to the chiller, it just won't sanitize it either, which is why starsans and PBW are more popular. Leaving it submerged in starsans for a few hours this one time should be fine, but I wouldn't recommend starsans baths overnight multiple times (it is slightly acidic, and will corrode the copper brazing). That being said we've left exchangers in diluted phosphoric acid overnight before and the chiller was fine.

We clean ours using a lye bath, as lye will destroy everything organic and leave the unit sanitized (just rinse it very well, and wear protective gear):
http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=lye

Baking is both good and bad. Sometimes it can be the only way to remove clogged crud, but just going to 400 has the potential of just cooking the break further into the unit. Baking is a great way to sanitize an unclogged chiller, but if you are worried about break either going all the way to oven clean mode or not at all.

Oxiclean is fine to use. It will not do any damage to the chiller, it just won't sanitize it either, which is why starsans and PBW are more popular. Starsans will do the best job for cleaning it, and leaving it submerged in starsans for a few hours this one time should be fine, but I wouldn't recommend starsans baths overnight multiple times (it is slightly acidic, and will corrode the copper brazing). That being said we've left exchangers in diluted phosphoric acid overnight before and the chiller was fine.

We clean ours using a lye bath, as lye will destroy everything organic and leave the unit sanitized (just rinse it very well, and wear protective gear):

Baking is both good and bad. Sometimes it can be the only way to remove clogged crud, but just going to 400 has the potential of just cooking the break further into the unit. Baking is a great way to sanitize an unclogged chiller, but if you are worried about break either going all the way to oven clean mode or not at all.

I do have a bag both NaOH and KOH at home. If i decide to try this method, how much do i dilute with water?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oxiclean is fine to use. It will not do any damage to the chiller, it just won't sanitize it either, which is why starsans and PBW are more popular. Starsans will do the best job for cleaning it, and leaving it submerged in starsans for a few hours this one time should be fine, but I wouldn't recommend starsans baths overnight multiple times (it is slightly acidic, and will corrode the copper brazing). That being said we've left exchangers in diluted phosphoric acid overnight before and the chiller was fine.

This seems to counterdict what have been told here many times, "starsan is not a cleaner... just a sanitizer"..Although I dont know how effective the oxy would be without being able to wipe the inside surface.

Like Duda said, lye is the way to go.
Two ounces of crystal lye (liquid measure) mixed into a qt. of water is plenty. Don't get it on you. Don't get it in your eyes. Don't get it on your clothes. Don't get it on chrome, nickel, or aluminum.

Just got it cleaned up. Hopefully it will work well on my next brew! Thanks everyone.

By the way, i got a chip of lye on my arm before... Not a good experience! Had to wash it off with vinegar.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This seems to counterdict what have been told here many times, "starsan is not a cleaner... just a sanitizer"..Although I dont know how effective the oxy would be without being able to wipe the inside surface.

You're correct, Oxiclean and PBW are cleaners; Starsan is a sanitizer.

You are correct. I was thinking about 100 different things when I posted. Good catch.

I'm also glad so many people put up warning about lye, as it must be handled with caution

Latest posts

Back