Needing a new Kettle for EBIAB. if possible.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I"m looking for suggestions on where and what to look for. I am looking into doing 10 Gal Batches ( instead of doing 5 gal batch, clean up, then do another 5 gal batch).

I will only be doing 10 Gal batches 4-5 times a year. most of the time it will be just the 5 gal batch. So I'm trying to figure out a cheap way of doing it, if possible.

My equipment as of right now:

220V 30m amp breaker going to a Auber Cube, which is going to my 5500W element, and feeding a pump, along with a steam slayer.

If any one has any suggestion I would appreciate it.

What kind of gravity are you looking to do for 10 gallon batches? If in the range of 1.060 or slightly higher I think a 15 gallon kettle should work well. I currently use a 15 gallon kettle from Spike and use it for 5 gallon batches, but planned it to be able to do moderate 10 gallon batches.

What kind of gravity are you looking to do for 10 gallon batches? If in the range of 1.060 or slightly higher I think a 15 gallon kettle should work well. I currently use a 15 gallon kettle from Spike and use it for 5 gallon batches, but planned it to be able to do moderate 10 gallon batches.

I have a 15G spike Ebiab setup I'm about to make my inaugural run on. The false bottom is right at the 3 gallon line. Have you had any issues with 5 gallons batches only having 4+/- gallons with actual grain in it?

Sorry for hijacking @Redpappy for what it's worth the Spike kettle is phenomenal compared to what I've brewed with in the past. Spend the extra nickels if you have them, wish I would have had this thing when I brewed before.

I have a 15G spike Ebiab setup I'm about to make my inaugural run on. The false bottom is right at the 3 gallon line. Have you had any issues with 5 gallons batches only having 4+/- gallons with actual grain in it?

Sorry for hijacking @Redpappy for what it's worth the Spike kettle is phenomenal compared to what I've brewed with in the past. Spend the extra nickels if you have them, wish I would have had this thing when I brewed before.

No worries. I have a 10 Gal Spike. I love it, never thought I would need to go bigger, but unforeseen circumstances came up to where 10 Gal batches may need to be necessary.

Now to your question about the false bottom. with my 10 Gal, I bought the false bottom from BrewHardware with the 5 1/2 inch. For the most part for my brews left me with about 5 inch (roughly 4-5 gals) and have not had any issues. I ended up cutting the legs down to fit my set up better, and with that, i have not noticed any difference. I hope this helps.

I do full volume mashes so for my 5 gallon batches I'm typically starting with a water volume of around 7.5-8 gallons.

Back