Need to wax a 30 gallon barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcHokie

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with 30 gallon barrels?

Just got one and wondering how the oxygen permeability compares to 55/60 gallon barrels and if I need to wax a portion of it for long-aging sours.

I have a two 15g barrels. I haven't waxed them, but I've only aged a stout in one for about four months. I'll be using them for sours here soon, but will still not wax them. I think the staves are about the same thickness as bigger barrels. At least they seem to be on mine. With that in mind I don't think (again, THINK) that it will allow more oxygen to enter than the same thickness bigger barrels would. Again, just speculation on my part. If I was too worried I would just flood my ferm freezer with CO2 whilst it ferments. I don't really think I would be opening that much over the course of ~3 years.

This 30G feels about as beefy as a regular 60G barrel, staves look similar but perhaps slightly thinner.

I'm planning on fermenting 5-10 gallons in the barrel and then topping off with remainder after a couple weeks. It'll either go in a basement (60F yr/round) or an insulated closet area (62-69 yr/round).

the issue with smaller barrels is their higher surface-to-volume ratio. the smaller the barrel, the higher relative amount of surface area it will have.

imagine a sugar cube. say each side has a surface of 1, so the total surface of the cube is 6. now double the volume by gluing on another sugar cube. does the surface area double? no, because a side of each individual cube needs to touch in order to make the new double-volume shape. the surface area is 10. if you quadrupel the volume buy gluing 4 cubes together, the surface area is 16 - volume is 4 times greater, but surface area isn't even 3 times greater.

so the reason you might want to wax a smaller barrel is to limit the relative amount of wood - a porous material - is exposed to air.

another way of looking at it: 10 gallons of beer will oxidize faster in two 5 gallon barrels, vs. being in one 10-gal barrel. therefore, in order to get the same rate of oxidation, you would need to wax part of the 5 gallons barrels.

I waxed my 11 gallon barrel before I did my lambic style. I plan to wax all of my smaller barrels, it can't hurt.

the issue with smaller barrels is their higher surface-to-volume ratio. the smaller the barrel, the higher relative amount of surface area it will have.

imagine a sugar cube. say each side has a surface of 1, so the total surface of the cube is 6. now double the volume by gluing on another sugar cube. does the surface area double? no, because a side of each individual cube needs to touch in order to make the new double-volume shape. the surface area is 10. if you quadrupel the volume buy gluing 4 cubes together, the surface area is 16 - volume is 4 times greater, but surface area isn't even 3 times greater.

so the reason you might want to wax a smaller barrel is to limit the relative amount of wood - a porous material - is exposed to air.

another way of looking at it: 10 gallons of beer will oxidize faster in two 5 gallon barrels, vs. being in one 10-gal barrel. therefore, in order to get the same rate of oxidation, you would need to wax part of the 5 gallons barrels.

I get all that. I guess I'm wondering what volume a barrel needs to be to reach that surface-to-volume tipping point, where oxygen exposure becomes negligible or acceptable, at least.

From this Wild Brews table, I'd guess that a 30 gallon barrel is in the 13-17 cc/L/yr range.

148515d1379306271-pellicle-photo-collection-image-521505612.jpg

Im waxing both of my 15g, Im not sure why you would risk it with long term aging a mixed fermentation beer.

Im waxing both of my 15g, Im not sure why you would risk it with long term aging a mixed fermentation beer.

I have no desire to bulk age 30 gallons of vinegar, so I definitely plan to wax a portion of it, if not the entire barrel.

Filling it soon. Got the first 15 gallons knocked out this past weekend: 60/40 pils/wheat, mashed high, steeped oats, 2+ hr boil, bugs, bugs, bugs :)

I would be more concerned about oak character- make sure your barrel is somewhat neutral (unless you're going for oak) and base your aging time on that.

I would be more concerned about oak character- make sure your barrel is somewhat neutral (unless you're going for oak) and base your aging time on that.

Its a new-to-me barrel, in its former life it aged Catoctin Creek rye whiskey, then a few cycles of a local brewery's porter. There are hints of both still present.

I fully expect the first pull to be a slightly oaky 'american wild', which I enjoy. From there, I plan on taking a solera approach over a couple years, likely pulling/replacing ~10G/year.

Barrel owners: curious what you generally deem is an acceptable amount of headspace?

I waxed 75% of this 30G barrel (not the heads), filled back in May and have about 3" to 4" from liquid level to bung-hole.

Its a new-to-me barrel, in its former life it aged Catoctin Creek rye whiskey, then a few cycles of a local brewery's porter. There are hints of both still present.

I fully expect the first pull to be a slightly oaky 'american wild', which I enjoy. From there, I plan on taking a solera approach over a couple years, likely pulling/replacing ~10G/year.

Ah, you're one of the lucky ones who got some barrels from DC Brau!

Barrel owners: curious what you generally deem is an acceptable amount of headspace?

I waxed 75% of this 30G barrel (not the heads), filled back in May and have about 3" to 4" from liquid level to bung-hole.

I always try to have zero headspace if possible. 3 - 4" is a lot of sq/in of exposed wood that would be a great place for acetic acid bacteria to colonize. I would try and fill the headspace as soon as possible or make sure you have active fermentation so there is always CO2 in the space.

Wanted to bump this thread. I have a line on a 30 gallon barrel directly from a distillery, and wanted to check in on the issues with oxygen permeability and headspace. Thanks!

Wanted to bump this thread. I have a line on a 30 gallon barrel directly from a distillery, and wanted to check in on the issues with oxygen permeability and headspace. Thanks!

I topped mine off. Before filling I waxed all but the heads and the bottom 20% or so of the staves.

You said fresh from the distillery; are you going to run some clean beers through it before long-aging/souring?

Yup, planning on doing a barleywine or RIS before turning it into a sour machine. It's funny, I noticed your reply right when I was reading about your 55 gallon barrel group barleywine project.

Any particular wax you used for your 30? Thanks for the response!

Yup, planning on doing a barleywine or RIS before turning it into a sour machine. It's funny, I noticed your reply right when I was reading about your 55 gallon barrel group barleywine project.

Any particular wax you used for your 30? Thanks for the response!

I just used regular Gulf Wax. Did a quick double boiler with a can in a sauce pot, brushed it on with a cheap paint brush, and used the wife's hair dryer to even it out.

Just saw you're in Silver Spring; you ever make it to any DCHB meetings? Let me know; I'll bring one those bourbon barrel barleywines to share.

I'm about to get 3 - 1gallon barrels, a 3 gallon and a 10 gallon to supplement the 50's. How much wax did you end up going through.

I'm about to get 3 - 1gallon barrels, a 3 gallon and a 10 gallon to supplement the 50's. How much wax did you end up going through.

Barely any at all. The 16oz box of Gulf Wax has four 4oz blocks and I used maybe half of one of those for the 30 gallon barrel.

Back