Need to go from kettle to tap in 15 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catalanotte

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I realize this is not the "right" way but I can change the calendar or my travel schedule and need to have beer on tap for a family function. So I brewed 2 - 5 gal batches (blonde - 1.045 and amber 1.050) and had a good primary fermentation (5 days at 65 degrees). I would typically rack to secondary for about 2 more weeks at this OG. Now the problem, I need to keg in 3 days (8 days from brew day) so it has time to carbonate, as I am not home for days 9-13 and it needs to be ready to tap on day 15.

Do I:
1-Skip racking and give it 3 more days in primary then right to a keg?
2-Try a short secondary to get it off the yeast and hopefully help clear the beer.
3-Rack and immediately cold crash each for about 24 hours (only have room for one 5g carboy in the fridge) then keg.
4-Rack to secondary for 8 days then keg and speed carb the beer in 36 hours (30psi, shake, etc.)

Thoughts?

Please don't Monday morning QB my situation, I know it's far from ideal, but looking for suggestions to get the best outcome.

1. Skip racking. Get it in the keg ASAP to make sure you have your carbonation. You might end up with more haze than you'd like, but it'll still be serviceable.

EDIT: ... as long as you're sure you've hit final gravity, that is.

Regardless, I would forget the secondary and keep ales in the primary prior to transferring to keg (for all brews). Option 1 and 4 would be my two choices, keeping the beer in the Primary. Gelatin can be added to the keg to clear the beer if needed and should work pretty quick.

you can easily have it carbed if you set the pressure to 30-35psi at day 9 and leave it at room temp. Once you get back put it into the fridge, purge and set at serving pressure. 2 days later itll still be bit green from fermentation, but will be 100% carbed

like the others said. this is what I would do
leave it in the primary...cold crash for 24hrs...Keg (add gelatin to keg)...gas it at 30psi for 24 to 36 hours. then purge the head space and reduce to serving pressure. pour off the first cloudy pint (gelatin and yeast). enjoy.

I've been doing this for my hoppy beers...in an effort to enjoy the super hoppy aromas and flavors sooner.

Most likely option 1 with those gravities, they should be done if not close.
Raise the temps to low/mid 70s to make sure they're done/clean up. keg on day 8. when you get back, pull a pint of each to get rid of any yeast/trub that settled.

If one or both aren't done or better yet, dry hop one of them, let it sit on the cake and dry hop for 8 days. then quick carb when you get back. :tank:

Here is my "I have to have it done in 14 days" Schedule

Brew and pitch 1.5 to 2 X the yeast.
Ferment at 1-2 deg higher say 67-68*
On day 9-10 check FG and start cold crashing 8-10 deg per day
On day 12 carefully rack to keg. Your beer is starting to clear, already cold and ready for gas.
Carb through the beer out port starting at 2-3 PSI raising 1-3 PSI every several hours. check carb on day 13 and adjust as needed. Normally by the time I hit 15-20 PSI on day 13-14 its done and carbed, ready for glass.

That is my 14 days from grain to glass schedule. I have had to do it more times than I care to divulge...

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for all the advice and ideas. Going to go for option 1, and just leave it in the primary and keg with 6 day carb up. I'll pour off a couple pints and should get most of the sediments out of keg. Thanks again.

Post tapping update....

Went with option 1. Gave it an 8 day primary then right to keg at 40 degrees and 12 psi for 7 days. It worked, beer was carbed up nicely, cleared amazingly well, and tasted good, but wasn't at its best until about a week later (~20 days total).

I have been on the racking side of the racking to secondary vs. primary only debate for years and this event forced my hand to skip the racking step and I must admit, I think I have switched over. The beer was as clear and clean tasting as any that I have racked.

What's the limit of time that you would leave a beer on the yeast cake in primary?

I never secondary. I see no reason to age most of my ales, IPAs, etc after fermentation is complete. It goes straight to keg after being cold crashed (if I have time for cold crashing) and then carbonates up. You're right that it doesn't taste as good on the first day of being kegged as it does on the 20th day, but it ages in the keg just as easily as it would in the secondary.

Post tapping update....

Went with option 1. Gave it an 8 day primary then right to keg at 40 degrees and 12 psi for 7 days. It worked, beer was carbed up nicely, cleared amazingly well, and tasted good, but wasn't at its best until about a week later (~20 days total).

I have been on the racking side of the racking to secondary vs. primary only debate for years and this event forced my hand to skip the racking step and I must admit, I think I have switched over. The beer was as clear and clean tasting as any that I have racked.

What's the limit of time that you would leave a beer on the yeast cake in primary?

I normally leave on the yeast cake for 4-5 weeks with no issues.

Back