Need to go colder!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcirish05

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I am new to the forum and just purchased a Summit Kegerator SBC-500J. My problem lies in the fact that my kegerator wont go below 40 degrees. I have a fan in it now and have the tower insulated with foam insulation. I have read on the mm forum about the danby resistor mod to get the temperature down. Has anyone tried this with a Summit? I know very little about wiring and do not want to mess up my kegerator. Thanks so much for the help guys!

It's at ~40-42 at the coldest setting. I would like to be able to take the dial off of the coldest setting and still be able to bring the temperature to a nice 38F. I am having foaming issues and lower temp should help a lot so the CO2 isnt trying to escape the beer. Has anyone moded a Summit kegerator?

I am a newbie.....but.......

I believe that hose length and CO2 pressure could affect that as well.

Do you have easy access to the thermostat probe inside the kegerator? If so I would wrap it with some insulation and see if that brings down the temperatures. Keep an eye on it so that you don't get too cold if it is capable of it. If that works I would consider wiring in an external controller like Ranco, Love, Johnson, etc. to keep things cool.

Have you checked with the manufacturer of the kegerator? I would ask there before modifying it free-style.

first thing to look at with foaming is tubing length. longer tubing equals less foaming. you should probably use around 6 feet if its the small diameter beer line (3/8?) and longer if its larger diameter. 42 degrees sounds plenty cool to me.

Ive thought about adding extra line but I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make other than slowing down the flow. I've been told mixed things about adding length to the beer line. What is your guys' experience with longer lines. Right now I have 5 ft at 3/16". I think I definitely need to add length (3 ft) after this keg, but I dont know if that will solve my problems with foam. Thanks for the help thus far. Summit's website is poor and the product manual with the unit is only 4 pages, not much help at all. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a summit sbc-500?

the length of the line changes the pressure gradient the beer is exposed to as it flows. long lines equal 'gentler' pressure change seen by the beer. you might also consider lowering your dispensing pressure once the keg is carbed.

Back