Need suggestions on what to put in 2 casks I have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrawGator

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 10 gallon whiskey and 5 gallon rum cask.

Looking for suggestions on what to age in each one. For the whiskey I was thinking of a sweet porter. I like stouts but prefer it to less coffee flavor.
Have no idea for the rum cask.

Suggestions? I like stouts but prefer it to less coffee flavor.

The first thing that comes to mind for most is a porter or stour because they can handle the added flavor of the whiskey or rum.

I would like to try to go with a quadrupel or barleywine or IIPA myself, as I am not fond of stouts or porters right now (pretty much could go either way, but the swmbo won't drink them at all, and the way I justify homebrewing to her is that I can make good beer for both of us and do it cheaper than anything in the store).

I would recommend a dry run with a small batch and oak chips soaked in whiskey or rum...

What kind of whiskey and rum barrels are they, as that could change things.

How big too? I can get a 55 gallon barrel, but can't imagine the cost of filling it(aboutt $400). :(

I had thought of a quadruple. Barleywine would be cool but that will be for a later batch. I'm not an IPA type.

The whiskey is a 10 gallon barrel and the rum is 5 gallons. Both fresh from the source.

Back