Need something to get the vapor out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felixsth

Reaction score
Hi, it's my first brewing winter, I boil inside in a keg with a water heater element, normally I just boil with the door open to let the vapor go out, but now in quebec it's almost -10 C and it can get to -30C easily. Letting the door open for the whole boil/cooling is out of question ( I tried last week and the kitchen was 4 C). I thought about building some sort of cover with a dryer tube that goes out of the window. I didn't see anything like that on the website so i'm asking. Is it a good idea? Will it affect my boil off rate and will DMS escape enough? Thanks

What you want to avoid is the vapor going back into the kettle, if it hits the lid and drips back down over and over you'd be causing a sort of reflux distillation with the nasties that you want to vent out. So, you'd want to make a lid that is conducive to limiting vapors condensing and dripping back into solution. What about boiling near your stove hood so you can simply turn the fan on?

My kitchen fan doesn't work and anyway it would not be enough since i'm brewing 10 gallons and the fan is really small and just push the air back in trough a filter.

if I put a small fan at the end of the tube maybe it can pull enough air so the vapor don't fall back in the beer

Back