Need some Reaasurance ( 1st Batch )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaDzBrewery

Reaction score
Brewed a Hefewiezen kit, She has stayed right around 64-68deg in my 50deg garage. Starting SG was 1.048 @70deg wort, checked the SG just now and its right at 1.020 , this is the 3rd day, so is that on track ? looks like it'll be ready to bottle around day 6 , which i heard some weizens are pretty quick.. do i let it go until it stops fermenting, or do i look for the special SG of 1.012, got that by doing the 1.0(48) take 48/4=12 which equals target 1.012. am i right on this or do i wait for it to bottom out.. I am coming from wine where i always let ferment till it stops for 3 or more days. Thanks ahead of time.

It sounds like you are right on track so far.

The Heffewitzen yeast at 64* should work out just fine. 1.020 is still a bit high, and if you tasted your sample, you probably noticed that it tasted like candy.

Honestly I would give it another 7 days after you drop to 1.010. This will let the yeast clean up after itself, and you will come out with a much more clean tasting beer.

Close the fermenter and leave it for a fortnight. Forget about it. Take another fermenter and start another beer.

You're doing just fine, your ferment is fine. But you're gonna need more beer in the pipeline!

Cheers,

Bob :mug:

K, thanks, just up to seeing what people's take on this is. So it will drop only so far, not like wine that will drop completly out to the .0980's didn't know if i need to bottle at the tartget gravity of 1.012 to make it carbonate correctly and all.. My kit has nothing about bottling except for the priming sugar and the caps.. so thats why I am asking so soon, Just not wanting to wait till its time to bottle to ask you know..

Close the fermenter and leave it for a fortnight. Forget about it. Take another fermenter and start another beer.

You're doing just fine, your ferment is fine. But you're gonna need more beer in the pipeline!

Cheers,

Bob :mug:
Fortnight haven't heard that one in a while..

Ferment it and forget it! lol. I always leave beers in primary for 3 weeks at least. Most typically between 3-4 weeks. You are right about checking FG over a period of a few days to look for the same reading. It will indicate whether you have hit your FG or will indicate a stuck fermentation.

Once you hit FG you may want to raise the temp a little for a couple days for a diacetyl rest.

The longer you leave it in primary, the more off flavors that will drop out, and it will allow your wort/beer to "clean" up a little. Also, when you bottle, you will add a sugar solution in order for your residual yeast to eat and carbonate. So even if you did ferment down to .998, you would still have carbonation, just with a really dry beer.

Back