Need some help with cloying sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
I am made a Kolsch and I had some Hallertauer hops left over from a previous brewday and I bought another 1 oz pack, thinking I had almost 2 oz between the two. Well, when it came time to add the hops I only had 1.3 oz of 3.6% AA hops for a beer with an estimated OG of 1.049. I just pitched my yeast about an hour ago. Would I be able to boil up some water and add some hops to it and boil for an hour and then chill this and add it to the fermenter? I was shooting for ~24 ibu's.

3# Pilsen
.5# Flaked Wheat
.5# Carafoam
3.3# Pilsen LME
1# Extra Light DME
already added 1.3 oz 3.6% Hallertauer

3 gal boil. 5.25 gal batch size. OG 1.046

Brewpal shows me at 16 IBU's

Well, you're a little low on IBUs for a kolsch, as you know. It might work out just fine, though, since you're only about 4 IBUs low for a kolsch style.

You could definitely add more bitterness if you want to, though. I guess it's a judgement call. I'd probably wait and see how it is after it's finished. It might be too sweet, but it might be pretty drinkable.

Next time, you could just add your extract at the end of the boil. If you would have added the LME and DME at 5 minutes left, you would have ended up with 21 IBUs.

I did add both extracts with 10 minutes left so perhaps I added a few ibu's but, man, it still seems pretty sweet right now. I guess I'll let this one play out and see how it ends up and just chalk it up to "Be prepared" next time.

Thanks for the response.

Keep in mind your drinking Wort, it's not beer yet, so it should be sweet. Just let it do it's thing and it should turn out nicely

If you used a real Kolsch yeast strain it should attenuate pretty well and they typically accentuate hop flavors as well. It doubt it would finish sweet at all. Malty yes.

If you used a real Kolsch yeast strain it should attenuate pretty well and they typically accentuate hop flavors as well. It doubt it would finish sweet at all. Malty yes.

I used Wyeast 2565 and I mashed at 149 so it should attenuate pretty well. I also picked up some more Hallertauer. I think I am going to let this ferment out and then see how it is and when it comes time to lager it I might just dry hop some of the hallertauer, depending on how sweet it still is. Maybe the aroma and flavor will help balance any residual sweetness.

Back