Need some help with a wheatwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popsicleian

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a 3 gallon batch of wheatwine this week for a competition in February. I have the rough outlines of a recipe, but wanted some advice on the hop bill and whether I should add sugar to help attenuation.

For my grain bill, I was thinking 50% white wheat, 43% 2-row, and 7% honey malt. That's more honey malt than I would normally use, but I'm thinking this recipe should be able to support it--I'm aiming for an OG over 1.100, per the competition guidelines. I'll be using WLP007 as my yeast--given that it's pretty attenuative, would you recommend a sugar addition of some kind to promote further attenuation? I could use honey or an amber candi sugar to give a little extra flavor.

I'm also looking for some help with the hops. I have a number of varieties available to me, and I'm having trouble figure out what might be best. I have:

Mt Hood
Magnum
Summit
Simcoe (small amount)
Cascade
Mandarina Bavaria (small amount)
Delta
Calypso

Any thoughts? I'm thinking somewhere around 70 IBUs to balance that much malt.

Latest posts

Back