Need some help with a DIY tap handle idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjap52

Reaction score
OK, so I've got an idea that I'd like to try out for a tap handle. Basically what I'd like to do is turn an empty beer bottle into a tap handle.

What I'm thinking is using some sort of glue or something along those lines and fill up the top of the bottle (maybe an inch or so) with some sort of filler. Then cap the bottle and drill through the cap and screw a tap handle bolt into that filler.

The bottle would be upside down on the tap and I'd put the label of whatever beer I've got on tap on the bottle. I'd probably make one of these for whatever beer I have on tap at that given time.

My question is, does anybody know what sort of filler would be good for this?

Thanks!

Sounds like a good job for epoxy. You will probably want to have that inner hollow part to be exposed to the air for expansion and curing. I suggest a straw through the cap.

citabria said:
sounds like a good job for epoxy. You will probably want to have that inner hollow part to be exposed to the air for expansion and curing. I suggest a straw through the cap.

+1.

Sounds like a good job for epoxy. You will probably want to have that inner hollow part to be exposed to the air for expansion and curing. I suggest a straw through the cap.

Hmm, sounds good, I'll give this a shot tonight. Thanks!

If you made something like the cork in a wine bottle you could just swap out the bottles and use the same threaded fitting. Think a crown cap (not crimped) with a wooden dowel on the other side of it that fits in the neck of the bottle. Have a hole in the center of the crown cap and behind that a threaded insert in the dowel. Make the dowel a snug fit and you could just pull the beer bottle off and replace with the next type.

I had a similar thought, but instead of the bottle being upside down, I was going to expoxy a T-nut, or similar, to the bottom of a bottle and thread the tap onto it so the bottle would remain upright and legible.

Rids the project of the messy detail of having to fill the neck with epoxy too.

Back