Need some help wiring Inkbird to replace thermostat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_rock

Reaction score
I have a GE 5.0cuft freezer I'm working on converting to a keezer. I bought a Inkbird ITC1000 controller for temperature control. I removed the factory thermostat and attempted to wire in the Inkbird in it's place, but no luck- it powers on, but reads "Er" and alarms out. I used the hot/neutral from the "power on" light to power the ITC1000, and connected the wires that were on the thermostat to the ITC1000 instead. I even removed the cold side thermostat wires and left only the hot/neutral to power the ITC1000, and also got the same "Er" and alarm. I'll post a few pictures to try and make better sense.

Factory thermostat as installed:
tmp_15531-20151007_142857-1554837581.jpg

Thermostat removed, the green light is what I removed to power the ITC1000. GRN/BLK/WHT wires coming in from left are from the AC plug to the wall, BLK/WHT/RED on the right go to the compressor.
tmp_15531-20151007_1648382089854675.jpg

Can anyone assist in how I should be wiring this up? I thought I had it figured out, but I'm stumped. I'll also mention, one of the wire connector posts on the board was soldered in backwards, so I had to remove and resolder it. Knockoff, indeed...

tmp_15531-20151007_161121293934337.jpg

After sleeping on it and reviewing this while on my lunch break, I think I may see the error I made. I connected the green and red wires to the cooling switch of the ITC1000. I should have connected the black and the red wires from my understanding. I'll try and rewire this when I get home today.

But, does that explain why the unit still read "Er" and alarmed when only the power was applied, no inputs to the cool switch?

Which unit is the one that's showing the "ER"?

In any case, dead-shorting your 120vac hot side to ground isn't going to go unnoticed by anything hooked up to the same circuit.

Yes, green is Safety Ground and you should have left that where it was.
The black wire is the hot feed, the red wire is the switched hot.
Connect those two wires across your cold side relay and you should be good to go...

Cheers!

The ITC1000 shows the error. Just tried connecting black and red wires to the cold side and got the same Er/alarm. Even took the cold side out of the circuit, connected red and black together to verify compressor still turns on (it does), and the ITC1000 still shows Er/alarm with only power applied.

Back