Need Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhetz

Reaction score
On 8/21, our Son lost his 13 month battle with a rare and aggressive sarcoma. I want to make a Cider in his honor. His gaming name was Exploding Weasle, so I am thinking a habanero or jalapeno flavored cider. Any recipes? Experience?

Thanks in advance!

On 8/21, our Son lost his 13 month battle with a rare and aggressive sarcoma. I want to make a Cider in his honor. His gaming name was Exploding Weasle, so I am thinking a habanero or jalapeno flavored cider. Any recipes? Experience?

Thanks in advance!

This is such a great way to remember your son @dwhetz – I, too, have lost Oliver on November 2016. Please reach out if you need someone to chat to. The grieving process is a tough roller-coaster ride.

As for the Cider, do you want the Cider to be "tangy" to the tongue with the spicy after taste? I don't have experience with either Habanero nor Jalapeño, but can try to chip in with some tips based on experience with other fruits. What is the main taste / experience you would like to go for?

I don't have experience with a jalapeno cider- but it sounds good. And I'm so sorry about the loss of your son. It sounds like a nice way to toast his life with a special cider.
Thank you! My Husband brewed a NEIPA, but I wanna do domething too. I have had a jalapeno mead..so it should work

It definitely should work. I have never done a jalapeno cider but did do a jalapeno session mead (About 7.8% ABV) Close to a good hard cider ABV.

I split them removed the seeds and roasted them on the grill outdoors in a cast iron skillet. Was thinking I would get some of the Smokey flavor from the roasting process but it does mute the heat a bit and for me i think it made it not as harsh as fresh jalapenos. Really did not get the smoke flavor I was looking for but the Jalapeno heat came through pretty nicely at the middle to back end. Consider tossing them in secondary and remove after you hit the flavor profile you like. I did a little less than 3/4 of a pound in 5 gallons - Took about 5 days to get the heat I was looking for. (Too much heat for my Scandinavian wife but I enjoyed it.)

Back