need recipe help for cocoa mole beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vera

Reaction score
Sorry, I originally posted this in the wrong category.
My goal is a beer that has lots of Chocolate and Caramel notes- a nice full mouth feel, fruity flavors of dried Guajillo and Ancho peppers and just a hint of warmth from the dried Chipotles. Please look at my recipe. Any suggestions would be appreciated. For a 5.25 Gallon batch with 68 % efficiency:
1.093 OG
16 lbs Pale Malt 2 Row Belg.
1 lb. Special B
8 oz Caramel Crystal 80L
8 Oz Chocolate Malt
8oz malted Oats
8oz Roast Barley 8 Oz
8oz Mexican Sugar (from evap. Sugar cane)
l oz Target pellets 60 min
Wyeast Trappist High Grav. #3787
I plan on adding 1/4 oz each of Guajillo And Ancho Peppers to boil for last 15 min. in addition to 5oz unsweetened Cocoa powder and 1/2 of a minced Vanilla bean.
I will soak Chipotles in Vodka and add to secondary, tasting every day until I get the right amount of heat.

Please critique this recipe. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Very interested to hear how this turns out, but can't critique, don't know enough myself to speak on the matter.

Did you see the recent recipe for the Cocoa Chipotle Robust Porter? Interesting comparative point. I will say I do like how you're also going after using the Guajillo and Ancho peppers to add depth/complexity - I always prefer to do much the same with my chili, and while they're not the dominant notes in the flavor (given the concurrent use of a chipotle in adobo and a Thai pepper as well), I feel they do add needed depth to avoid making spicy ketchup! ;)

Very interested to hear how this turns out, but can't critique, don't know enough myself to speak on the matter.

Did you see the recent recipe for the Cocoa Chipotle Robust Porter? Interesting comparative point.

Thanks RACR. Yes, I did see that post-after I posted of course :-/
Mainly I'm needing help with the grain bill. My numbers all add up. But I'm really aiming for some Caramel/chocolate flavor without too many coffee notes.

Back