Need opinions - malt mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
Hi
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Schmidling malt mill. I found a LHBS selling Breiss 2row for $30 per 50# bag (store special). Now I need to crush. Any words of advice or warning? Thanks, you guys are great!

Jpuf

I would make sure that you get one that you can adjust if needed. Other choices are the Barley Crusher and Crankandstien mill. That's a good price for grain. :)

I vote for Crankandstien 1/2 drive . Get a motor off of ebay. Found a new 1/4 hp 1750 rpm for $5 . If you put a motor on it you'll also need 2 pulleys ,a belt and a switch.

There was another recent thread about malt mills, so you might try searching for even more opinions.

I've pretty much decided that when I get one, it will be the Barley Crusher Malt Mill with the seven pound grain capacity hopper. It comes with a handle, or you can drive it with a drill. It is fully adjustable.

It has a really great low price.

I want a crankandstein so bad I can taste it.

Wait a minute, that doesn't make sense.

But I really want one.

I have the JSP (fixed pitch) and am very happy with it.
I doubt you will find anybody who has actually tried more than one roller mill, as I believe they all work really well, and should last a very long time.
It is worth shopping around, as you can occasionally find them on sale at very good prices.

-a.

I have been using the JSP MaltMill with great results. It is what Northern Brewer uses in there shop day in day out. It is very good

The thing I don't like about the JSP is there are three grades, and only the most expensive one is fully adjustable. The Barley Crusher Malt Mill is fully adjustable for much less money than the JSP. I can't see it wouldn't be as durable as the JSP.

I have a 2 roller crank-n-stein.

Here's my homeade housing for it. I use a Propel bottle for a hopper (holds exactly one pound of grain--which is good for a quick and dirty measure when using larger bags). The bucket catches my grist.

It's powered by my Skil 14.4V chuckless drill.

3548-GrainMill.JPG

You can see it with the propel bottle in place in the background of the next picture.

3548-brewroom.JPG

For the money, I'd go with Crankandstein. I have the GM3D (3 roller detent) and does a great crush. Powered by 3/8 hp gear motor turning at 90 rpm. You could get a 2 roller and run through twice. I shipped crushed samples to a professional brewer and his bottom line was the mill does a "kick ass job - lots of grits and little flour".
Schmidling, last I saw, has an adjustment on one side only. What's that about ?

I purchased the 2 roller malt mill from More Beer with the added stainless hopper. I have been using it for 3 years with a cordless drill and I brew about 20 - 25 batches of beer (5 Gallons) per year. It is adjustable and I clean it after each use by brushing out dust etc. It looks like the Barley Crusher Mill. I recommend it.

Dr Malt

Back