Need I worry? Low fermentation temp...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin306

Reaction score
The only reason I ask is because I have authorization from SWMBO to move a carboy upstairs....

The basement ambient temp is 61 degrees, 2 degrees off the listed minimum for my yeast (sorry, don't know what strain, etc). I pitched the yeast Sunday afternoon, and fermentation was in pretty steady flow by Monday monrning.

I can get to 67-69 by taking it upstairs. Would it be beneficial to gain a few degrees during this stage of fermentation? Or would it just be an unnecessary hassle?

The only reason I ask is because I have authorization from SWMBO to move a carboy upstairs....

The basement ambient temp is 61 degrees, 2 degrees off the listed minimum for my yeast (sorry, don't know what strain, etc). I pitched the yeast Sunday afternoon, and fermentation was in pretty steady flow by Monday monrning.

I can get to 67-69 by taking it upstairs. Would it be beneficial to gain a few degrees during this stage of fermentation? Or would it just be an unnecessary hassle?

so far this winter, i have brewed 3 batches that have fermented at 57-60 degrees and have had no problems. the temperature in the fermenter is going to be higher than the ambient temperature anyways due to all the activity going on in there.

You mentioned 2 degrees off the listed minimum. I am assuming the listed minimum is 59. If that is the case you are fine in the basement. My basement runs about 59-61 degrees this time of year and I ferment most of my ales down there. I prefer to be at the low end of the temp range for most yeasts.

You can move it later after a couple of weeks to let the yeast clean up a little quicker but it is not necessary.

Right at the end of fermentation, bumping up the temp 3 to 5 degrees would help clean up the beer! I've started doing this with all of my beers for better attenuation and cleans up diacetyl and acetylaldehyde if needed..

Not necessary by any means but wouldn't hurt :)

The basement ambient temp is 61 degrees...

Keep it cool! 61 ambient is perfect. Yeast create heat during fermentation, so if the ambient is 69, your fermentation can easily get too warm.

As previously mentioned, once activity slows, the majority of the fermentation flavor profile is complete so you can take it upstairs for finishing.

Unless you are brewing a Saison, I wouldn't worry about 61F ambient temps. I ferment almost all my ales in that range.

Or a lager, I suppose, for opposite reasons.

My beer room is the 3rd bedroom of our old drafty house. Its the farthest from the furnace, and the door stays shut to prevent feline investigations. I ferment in that cold ass room all the time with no issue, sometimes it just takes a little longer

I suppose the pertinent advise would be, RDWHAHB? BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY BOTTLED YET!!!! WHAT DO I DO?????

According to Jamil's new yeast book, he recommends for Ales, Generally Speaking, ferment at 68F

Process:

Start your fermentation at 65F for 2 days or so
(this is to offset out the aggressive heat being produced by the duplication of the yeast)

Then slowly up the temp to 68F, When the fermentation is between 2/3 and 3/4 of the way completed, increase the temp slowly up another 5 deg or so.
(This is to max out the fermentation. He also mentions that this late in the fermentation you dont have to worry about side flavors or bi products and that those are generally produced at the beginning of fermentation)

If you are fermenting with lagers or yeast that has a different recommended temp, use the same process but adjust the temps accordingly

DISCLAIMER: This is from my memory and interpretation. Take it how you wish.

I have done it making both beer and wine and have had great results.
For the wine, i used a base temp of 72 instead of 68 as per described on some random website.

Personally (and having discovered this by accident) I keep my Ale's around 62 degrees for a one-month primary. I used to keep them upstairs where the ambient temp is about 68-70 degrees, but after making a recipe that people loved and trying to clone it every time, I discovered my beer was far superior (better body, fewer esters, clearer) when I fermented lower.

I suppose this allows the yeast to work smarter, not harder.

Latest posts

Back