Need hop addition help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spagnot

Reaction score
Here's my recipe for this weekend:
Item | Quantity
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III 1
Columbus Hop Pellets 1 oz. 4
Australian Galaxy Hop Pellets 1 oz. 4
Amarillo Hop Pellets 8 oz. 1
Briess Carapils - 1 lb. crushed 1
Priming Sugar 1 lb 1
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt - 1 lb. crushed 1
Weyermann® Rye Malt - 1 lb. crushed 2
Rahr White Wheat Malt - 1 lb. crushed 3
MaltEurop American 2-Row Pale Malt - crushed 10

Can anyone recommend amounts and times for each of my hops for the boil and dry hopping? I am hoping I can smell the beer after it's finished from feet away. I can do less of any also. Big IIPA.
Thanks.

Off the cuff: 60-70 IBUs of Columbus for 60 minutes, mix everything else and do half at 10 minutes and half dry-hopping for 5 days.

If you really want to go big, the main key is to minmize the FG. Too many gross sweet double IPAs out there IMO.

10lb 2row
3lb wheat
1-1.5lb sugar (just use table sugar)
add a bit of carapils if you wish, but not needed IMO

@60: 1 oz columbus
@10: 1 oz amarillo / 1 oz galaxy
@0: 4 oz amarillo / 3 oz columbus
*hopstand*
@dry: 3 oz amarillo / 3 oz galaxy

I will use pure oxygen for the wort.
If you really want to go big, the main key is to minmize the FG. Too many gross sweet double IPAs out there IMO.

10lb 2row
3lb wheat
1-1.5lb sugar (just use table sugar)
add a bit of carapils if you wish, but not needed IMO

@60: 1 oz columbus
@10: 1 oz amarillo / 1 oz galaxy
@0: 4 oz amarillo / 3 oz columbus
*hopstand*
@dry: 3 oz amarillo / 3 oz galaxy

I will use pure oxygen for the wort.

That will help yeast get a good start, but it won't do much for the FG if you still have a bunch of unfermentable sugars in there. That's why m00ps (correctly) said to just use 2-row and a bit of wheat, if you want, plus pure sucrose to dry it out that much more. I agree that IPAs, especially big ones, should be quite dry.

A IIPA should have ~10% fermentable sugar in the grain bill. If you don't dry the beer out by adding some form of sugar (i.e. fructose, glucose, or get crazy and add both by using sucrose ;) ) you're going to end up with a beer that is closer to an American barley wine.

If you want to achieve more malt complexity and character, substitute a couple of lbs of 2-row for vienna malt. Like m00ps I enjoy some wheat in beers of this style, but a SMALL amount of carapils or crystal malts instead of wheat is appropriate as well. Keep any crystal and/or carapils additions under 1/2 lb total.

Personally I would use this hop schedule:

1oz Columbus (60 minutes)

1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Galaxy, 1/2 oz Columbus (10 minutes)

2 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Galaxy (hopstand 30 minutes @ 165F)

2 oz Amarillo, 2 oz Galaxy (dryhop 5 days)

Latest posts

Back