Need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
So my wife's aunt brought some crazy pumpkins over to the family carving fest tonight, we made a vw bus with the one and my god the aromas and flavor of melons it was straight amazing, so my mind started ticking and I think I want to brew a pumpkin IPA with this pumpkin. Figured roast as usual scrape boil half for 20mins in half gallon of water add to mash the. Add other half to boil with 20 mins left in boil. Now my question is what hops would be best to help with the melon like flavors prolly could add some citrus to it as well. Any advice on a grain bill, was thinking about a simple regular IPA recipe where the pumpkin will add a slight orange tone in.

Said pumpkin
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445480540.819333.jpg

Huell Melon and El Dorado have awesome melon flavors in my experience, I would try one or both of those

I'll try and get a pic when she finishes she's is shaving the normal white body line, wheels, and bumper and making making a vw emblem out of another pumpkin. Lol will check those two varieties out never used any hops with melon flavors before so new uncharted territories lol

Something else just came to my mind what do you think about Conan for fermenting for a peachy flavor with the melon notes, I'm just sorta flowing flavors and recipes in my head lol

I used 1056 in my Pumpkin ale. I took about a 10 pound pumpkin, sliced it up and baked until the edges caramelized. I got about 8 pounds of pulp, added it to the mash. Ended up with a slight pumpkin flavor, no extra spices. When I do it again I will use a bit more pumpkin and cook it a little more.

So brewed this up today, used el dorado, citra, and hüll melon , Conan is on the stir plate going nuts chamber is set at 64, and chilling as we speak

Conan
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446333539.287008.jpg

Pumpkins roasting then I puréed them
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446333592.227280.jpg

Color of beer, the pumpkin boosted the golden hue to being vivid it's awesome
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446333643.870315.jpg

Chilling and transferring
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446333679.954728.jpg

Hop additions we're

Warrior FWH
Citra .5oz el dorado .25 oz 20mins
Citra .5oz el dorado .25 oz 5mins