Need Help with this Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I could really use some help with this porter recipe. Try as I might I can't seem to make a good robust porter. Or any porter for that matter. Most of them come out tasting kind of like cola or pepsi. Not sure if its something in this recipe. I was trying to do the edmund fitzgerald great lakes clone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am definitely not new at brewing but just getting the hang of the all grain thing. Maybe the yeast?

Batch Size 3.25

7lbs Pale Malt
8 oz Crystal 60
6 oz Chocolate Malt
5 oz Roasted Barley

.70 oz northern brewer 60 mins
.30oz fuggles 30 mins
.30 oz cascase 0 mins

Yeast – WLP013

Mash 156 degrees for 60 mins

OG – 1.055

FG – 1.019

you're finishing high. try mashing closer to 153 to kill some sweetness. a bit more roasted barley would help too.

do you think the yeast has anything to do with it? I heard that WLP013 has some flavors that people sound odd. Thanks for the advise. Will try it again. Any thoughts on roasted barley versus black patent malt? I see a lot of suggestions for that in different recipes

I like a little black malt in a porter. If you swap out the roasted barley for 4-5 oz of black you are pretty close to Jamil's grainbill in BCS - his is higher gravity at 1.064. I agree with Ron though, looks like the main problem here is finishing too high for that recipe. I do like porters on the dry side so I often mash around 151-152. I don't have experience with 013 but if you want to change it up Notty is a good choice IMO and should attenuate well.

Latest posts

Back