Need help with AG saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lex82

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I brewed an AG saison from northern brewer, and I let it sit in primary for 4 weeks then transferred to keg and aged for another 3 weeks. I forced carbed it, but when I tried it I knew from the first sip that it wasn't ready. I decided to take it off the gas, purged it and brought it back to 70-72 degrees and let it age some more. My question is that it has now been aging for another 2 weeks but everyday I've been purging co2 from the keg. Was it not done fermenting? or did I reactivate the yeast somehow by bringing back to temp? I've never had this happen, but this is only my 2nd AG attempt.

Thanks for any help

Did you take a final gravity reading? What yeast did you use? What do you mean by "I knew from the first sip that it wasn't ready"?

I have read numerous threads on here about the Wy3724 strain and how long it takes to get it to fully attenuate. I have used the 3711 several times and usually have very high attenuation at 7-10 days. That being siad, I gradually allow my fermentation temperature to climb to 78-80F. For the 3724, I see people go into the mid to upper 80's to get full attenuation.

When you say it was not finished, do you mean residual sweetness? Did you measure FG? Like I said, I have seen FG in the range of 1.004 -1.006 with the 3711, but would expect maybe a few points higher if you used the duPont strain.

You have probably roused the yeast by now. Maybe increasing the temp will allow this to finish off!

Cheers.

Did you take a final gravity reading? What yeast did you use? What do you mean by "I knew from the first sip that it wasn't ready"?

I took a final gravity reading and it stayed constant at 1.016 for three days straight. I used wyeast #3522 belgian ardennes yeast. As for not thinking it was ready... I was getting a hot alcohol taste and a weird nutty aftertaste which I was told both would mellow out after some more aging.

I have read numerous threads on here about the Wy3724 strain and how long it takes to get it to fully attenuate. I have used the 3711 several times and usually have very high attenuation at 7-10 days. That being siad, I gradually allow my fermentation temperature to climb to 78-80F. For the 3724, I see people go into the mid to upper 80's to get full attenuation.

When you say it was not finished, do you mean residual sweetness? Did you measure FG? Like I said, I have seen FG in the range of 1.004 -1.006 with the 3711, but would expect maybe a few points higher if you used the duPont strain.

You have probably roused the yeast by now. Maybe increasing the temp will allow this to finish off!

Cheers.

If I'm to get down to 1.004-1.006 then I really didn't give it enough time then.

So... If it's still fermenting down, once it finally does finish out should I transfer it again into another keg before I carb and drink?

I would just leave it in that keg. There really wouldn't be a reason to put in another keg. I would just carb, chill and drink. It's not in the kegorator now is it? My saison finished low at 1.003. I agree, depending on recipe, you should be .004-006. Any yeast and junk will sink and come out the first glass or so when you tap it.

Back