Need help wi Weldless valve installation, please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianw58

Reaction score
I got a Weldless tap setup for my kettle. I can't get the thing to seat properly.

The NPT nipple will not allow the valve to tighten down on the coupling because of the shoulders between the threads on either side of the nipple. The photo below shows the exploded view of the set up. The red line is supposed to be the kettle wall.

Is something wrong or am I not understanding something? It seems to me that the nipple should be an NPS fully threaded nipple I order for this to work.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

image.jpg

If I'm reading the problem correctly it seems a couple washers on the outside of the kettle should allow you tighten everything down without reaching the "shoulders".
Sorry if this is way off base and I didn't understand your problem correctly, just throwing ideas out.

Hey, Deicide! Thanks for responding.

I tried a couple of washers on the valve side of the kettle but they bottom out before getting close enough to the kettle to tighten things up. If I put them on the inside, they don't do anything for me.

I'm wondering if I've hot a bum nipple. Maybe I should just get an NPS nipple.

You probably need a picture of it installed as I can't determine from your description what the issue is. On piece of advice is to use a 3 piece valve instead of a one piece if you are going to have wort go through there...I clean my 3 piece after each brew as there is always gunk inside even if I run boiling water through it...

If you have one available, run a 1/2" NPT tap into the coupling. Sometimes the threads are a little buggered up.

Here's a photo of the unit "dry fitted". You can see the size of th gap between the silicon o-ring and the valve.

I managed to find a washer with a slightly larger diameter hole at Lowes. It actually slips all the way across the nipple.

I'll have to see if I can find a 1/2" die that's not too expensive. I had thought of that, JRems. Thanks for suggesting it.

Ameliabrewery, that's the way it came and it matches with the picture from...the place I ordered this from. I've attached two shots of the instruction sheet.

image.jpg

Looks like a possible bum nipple as everything looks right. Either a new nipple or a thread chaser should have it good to go. Just put together several of the same valves for a friends kettles just the other day....

Well, I've runabout 150 gallons of water through my 60 Quart kettle testing the fitting, tonight. And to no avail. The last attempt was SS Washer and large, red silicon O-Ring on each side of the nipple. Four wraps of Teflon tape on each end of he nipple.

Result...drip!

It's dripping from between the washer and the valve. (Photo below)

Looks like the water might be running back from the valve along the nipple on the outside of the kettle. Not enough nipple? More tape?

image.jpg

Norse & Cyclman:

I bought an expensive NPT tap and die set at Harbor Freight ($15 for 1/4" x 18, 3/8" x 18 and 1/2" x 14). Chased the threads on the coupler and the nipple.

Also got a roll of yellow gas line tape from Lowes. Put four wraps on both ends of the nipple.

Put a fat O-Ring on the inside and a thin one on the outside.

Loaded the kettle with 14 gallons of water and...

...well the photo shows that you guys deserve a pint of my Mike's Brown Ale...or three!

Check the photo...

Awesome! Thanks to everyone who posted advice!

image.jpg

Back