Need help fixing Orval-inspired beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zendog

Reaction score
I brewed this beer using Bastogne yeast for primary and Brett B for secondary. After 3 months the beer was tasting nice, so I dry hopped with 2 oz of Slovenian Bobeck (similar to Styrian Goldings) pellets, as per some recipes for Orval type clones. After a week I kegged and carbed for 2 weeks. The beer now has a very pungent spice aroma and taste to it that is over-powering. Also, the beer is now very hazy due to the dry hopping. Ugh... In hindsight, I should not have dry hopped at all!

So now I'm wondering what to do:

1. Leave it in the keg (cold) and hope it mellows out with time.
2. De-carb, transfer back to fermenter and age it more, hoping the remaining Brett will transform the hops to a more mellow state (if there are any still alive).

Any other ideas?

3. Pull keg from fridge and let it sit out for a month or two while occasionally venting if need be.

I'll give #3 a shot.

Any chance the brett is still active? Just wondering if I can expect further flavor development from the brett.

Arvada? I grew up there...

I would expect more flavor development from the brett. I have noticed flavors change once the beer is under pressure, and sometimes increased activity.

I've read about Brett acting different under pressure also. Maybe I won't vent it. At least now that it's kegged I have an easy way of tasting it along the way!

Back