Need help building water profile with RO water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I am moving from tap water to RO water and need help on what water additions to add to the water for a basic blonde or cream ale recipe? Thanks!

I did get Bru'n Water but I have a question. When I go to Desired Water Profile for 'Yellow Balanced' it gives me a set of numbers. Then when I put RO Water it gives me a set of numbers.

Am I trying to match the calcium water ppm of 50 ppm in Desired Water Profile to be calcium 50 ppm in Water Additions? The reason I ask is, the water addition is gram/gal.

I see the Finished Water Profile, so I guess by making modifications to the Water Additions, you want the finished water profile to match the Desired Water Profile?

As you make changes in the water additions you will see the finished water profile numbers change. You just want to get the numbers as close to the target profile as you can. Also on the mash acidification page you enter your grist and you will see where your mash pH will be. You can then add acid malt or alkalinity to get your pH right.

As you make changes in the water additions you will see the finished water profile numbers change. You just want to get the numbers as close to the target profile as you can. Also on the mash acidification page you enter your grist and you will see where your mash pH will be. You can then add acid malt or alkalinity to get your pH right.

Thanks! What ph mash do I want this at?

I have found that Brunwater.com will get you to +/- 0.1 of your target pH. I would go for 5.4 to give you a little wiggle room in case you miss it high or low.

Thanks, now to my next question. After adding the Water additives I had to add lactic Acid to get my pH level down. I plan on going to the LHBS tomorrow, should I pick up some lactic acid as well?

Yes you can add lactic acid. I prefer to use acid malt. If you go to the mash acidification page and add some acid malt to your grist to adjust your pH. Just use acid malt instead of lactic acid. You may require a little lactic acid for sparge acidification.

One more question, when do I add all the water additives? Before mash, during mash or after mash?

OK, so I had my old recipe in the Bru' n Water and I am trying to input the new recipe. Is the Lovibond Color just the SRM of what Beersmith is giving me? For example, the SRM of 2-Row is 2 SRM, Vienna is 3.5 SRM. Flaked Corn 1.3 SRM, Cara-Pils 2 SRM.

In general terms, SRM and Lovibond are supposed to be equal. However, they are slightly different. Given the broad-brush approach to estimating grain acidity with color and grain type, assuming SRM = L is close enough.

I am hoping to brew a Pale Ale or IPA soon. What water additive should I use for bicarbonates, Baking Soda, Chalk, or Pickling Lime?

I am hoping to brew a Pale Ale or IPA soon. What water additive should I use for bicarbonates, Baking Soda, Chalk, or Pickling Lime?

None. For the most part, you don't want to add alkalinity to your mash unless you need it. For a pale beer, you will most likely need as little alkalinity as possible.

Bru'n Water's Pale Ale Water Profile is 110 ppm for Bicarbonates. Should I not follow Bru'n Water's water profiles?

Bru'n Water's Pale Ale Water Profile is 110 ppm for Bicarbonates. Should I not follow Bru'n Water's water profiles?

That bicarb level is a starting point guess. Your actual amount needed will depend on the grist. If you are hardening the water to the degree indicated by that profile, you might need that much bicarb. Keeping the mash pH from dropping much lower than 5.4 tends to decrease the hop expression in a hoppy beer.

Latest posts

Back